Socks (Knitting)

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Socks (Knitting)

Your slip knot goes on your right hand needle when casting on, it becomes your first cast on stitch.... HTH.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

StripyPixieSocks
A selfsufficientish Regular

Ok... I'm going to beat this... 8 times down 9th time lucky?

I've never used DPN's before and it's rather like wresting with some weird creature... I haven't got the hang of this... yet... I always end up with extra stitches no matter how hard I'm concentrating :lol:

ina

I think it's really easiest to learn if you knit along with somebody who knows how to do it... I've taught a number of folks over the years that way.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Shirley

Stick with it... I've just received a beautiful pair of socks from Ina.... they were finished while she was here yesterday for the food co-op.... Fantastic, purple... and stripey too YAY

Thank you Ina xxx :mrgreen:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

StripyPixieSocks

Oooo stripy socks lol

I like to teach myself and am quite good at it once I have the thing(s) in my hands and I can just go along and follow the pattern learning the new stitches as they come along.

I got all the way down to turning the heel last night but didn't realise that slipping the stitch over the knitted one meant slipping it right off instead of onto the other needle for knitting again and ended up with three extra stitches left over at the end so had to unravel it... again! But at least now I know.

I tend to just jump right in for new things and the first thing I knitted was a baby beanie hat with lots of knitting two together and yarn overs and whatnot, it took me lots of tries to finally get it right but once I had done one the second one was easier and by the fourth hat I could do it without the pattern.

Second thing I knitted was a Lots of Love Grandmas Afghan albeit in a small baby size and the amount of times I started that one and unravelled... the only time I could get it right was if I used stitch markers and just dealt with the bits between each marker at a time lol... I've still got a third to do but I will finish it eventually :oops:

But yes, today I will make a whole sock... even if it's just the one :lol:

Helsbells

I think I have no excuse but to start knitting now!!
Hamster I will take you up on that offer!

red

yay! then you can join the self sufficientish ravelry group too
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

StripyPixieSocks

Well, I've almost finished... one :lol:

There's just one mistake on the heel where I knitted the wrong side so it's bumpy but other than that it's been pretty easy albeit a little confusing in parts but now I've done the hard bit I know for next time and it will be much easier!

The good thing is my OH needs thick wool socks for when we do Medieval Re-enactment and as we're going 100% authentic they have to be hand made so at least now I can make them for him so his boots and armour straps don't rub his feet and legs red raw.

Ladies (as I portray) wear garter socks under their beautiful dresses (and not much else :shock: ) so I will be getting on with some of them after his socks.

Yes re-enactors even wear the period underwear and most of it is utterly hilarious (for the knights at least) :mrgreen:

Edit - W~HOO only most of the day to do on and off and I am now sat here with one blue knitted sock on and mighty comfy it is too!! It only goes up to my ankle because I don't like long socks but I'm really pleased and will be making another one tomorrow :mrgreen: :flower:

Rosendula

I'm not ready to start on socks just yet, but I've just received some knitting needles and wool sewing needles through the post which I bought online. I've unravelled a blanket someone crocheted for Katie when she was born, and I've borrowed a couple of books from the library. I've had a little go (not easy with a toddler climbing all over me), and I have learned how to
  • cast on
  • purl (I already knew the basic knit stitch)
  • increase and decrease
  • do a holey pattern (on purpose :wink: )
  • and I've had a bit of a go at a cable stitch
:shock: I didn't get back from the library until 3:15pm, and I've been cooking, reading all of Katie's new books, eating and all sorts. I can't believe how much I have learned in such a short space of time. Whew!
Rosey xx

dickon
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

If you're aiming for 100% authenticity,have you found evidence for knitted socks in period(please,please,please-am sick of cold wet feet) .The earliest we've ever found is a surviving pair(with knitted vest)for a small child,dating from the 16th century in (I think ) the museum of London.All the wool "sockes" prior to that have been generally interpreted as being made of woolen cloth made in a similar way to footed hose.

witch way
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I've just completed my first pair of socks using that pattern, but I'm also dead chuffed as I also spun (span?) the wool myself first from fleece. OK, theyre on the chunky side but I'm getting better. I'm now starting more for Christmas presents. I know it's early but I'm a slow knitter. ww

ina

Don't want to put you off, WW, but all my experience with socks made form handspun wool is that they develop holes very easily. It would be a shame if you spent a lot of effort on knitting, only for them to be ready for the compost heap after two weeks.

Socks are the one item where I don't use 100% wool, but "proper" sock yarn, usually 75% wool, 25% acrylic. I am going to try guernsey yarn, as that is much more densely spun and plied (5ply), but still 100% wool.
Last edited by ina on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Eigon
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I think Dickon is right - there really isn't a lot of evidence for knitted socks in the medieval period.
On the other hand, when you see the intricacy of some of the knitted things that have survived (I'm thinking of a patterned bag from the 14thC - but I don't remember where I saw it now!) they must have been capable of doing socks!

Chethams Music School in Manchester has a Tudor 'dress uniform', which was the original school uniform - and their socks are just straight tubes. Turning the heel was obviously yet to come.

I have to say that I cheat, and wear ordinary socks that I cover up - there is no way on earth that I could go a whole day in medieval shoes without wearing socks.
And when I'm portraying a Viking, I can use nalbinding socks (well, when I finally get round to finishing them!). The Vikings could turn a heel.
"The best way to get real enjoyment out of the garden isto put on a wide straw hat, hold a little trowel in one hand and a cool drink in the other, and tell the man where to dig."
Charles Barr

witch way

Thanks Ina, I'm glad you told me. I could have had a really embarrassing New Year if all my presented socks wore into holes. :oops: My handspun wool isn't good enough yet to do sweaters and stuff so I suppose I could do warm gloves and hats instead of socks. :santa: ww.

witch way

.... or, could I ply it with something else thats nylonish, any suggestions? ww.