Tweed fabric

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Tweed fabric

Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:07 am

I got given some brand new wool tweed by my hubby's aunt. loads of it. enough for soph's winter coat. BUT having never worked with the stuff before, I just need to know:

should I pre-shrink it? or will that just turn it to felt?
should I wash it at all? if so, cold wash?
what thread to use? polycotton? cotton? polyester?!
and finally, I will be lining the garment I have in mind, but do I need to bind the seam edges of the fabric or is it sturdy enough to hold itself and not fray under the lining?

thanks for any info!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

buzzybee
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: Tweed fabric

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:21 am

hi, I dont know if you'll have started this now, given how long ago you posted but i thought I'd reply anyway with the limited knowledge I have. I would assume that you dont preshrink it, as if it wasnt coated either as a yarn or as a material it could shrink by a considerable amount, you may lose the pattern and it could distort if it is pure wool. I would tend to wash it on a cold wash if at all, I think if it were to be sold in the shops you would get a dry clean label on it (which is somethig you never want to see)
I.m afraid I wouldn't know about the sewing questions which is appaling given my education, but i'm a weaver not an embroiderer. I would also take the stuff i said wit a pinch of salt, as I work with threads, not materials so I know about the stuff I have made and not others always. that said, if there is a massive amount you could cut a strip off and test it for felting? either throw it in the machine, if it does felt you will get more even results than doing it by hand and may find you like it, or test it at the sink, warm water, washing up liquid (or soap of any kind) and rub it with your hands, either with itself, or back and forth on the drainer. hope this was of some help and not months too ate and shes already wearing the coat!! x

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:03 am

thanks for your input buzybee, I went with a different and less scary fabric in the end, but still have this massive lot of tweed. I did do a test patch and see if it felted which it did really nicely (machine felt) so I'm thinking of making bags out of the resulting felt. I'm still not sure though so for now it's in my stash.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

buzzybee

Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:38 am

tweed bags would be really nice for winter, and if you have a crafty sewy shop near you you might be able to get some really nice cane/wood handles to go with them? ooh and yummy purses too.