Tree Guards.

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular

Tree Guards.

I'm planning to plant willow cuttings and wondered if they'd need tree guards because of the rabbits around here?
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

oldjerry

Re: Tree Guards.

Definitely,if you're AWARE of rabbits(i.e.you see them regularly)there will be enough to give them a good going over come a tough winter /spring.The little varmints are what make tree planting schemes so expensive,annoying when the willow itself is so cheap.If your going for a windbreak,think about netting an area rather individual guards.BWs.

me-o-matic
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi,

I use transparent spiral plastic guards. There is evidence or rabbits in the area but everything seems OK for now with the guards.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't have a rabbit population here, so my trees are safe, oh except for the bloody alpaca's who seem to have a serious addiction to sweet chestnut, crab apple, willow, .............. I don't think trees that have had most of the bark taken off them will live will they? are there alpaca tree guards? let me know

spider8

Thanks guys, it looks like I'll be ordering some then. As for alpacas.....don't get many in Orkney so can't help lol!
Life's a bitch and then you diet.