New pond

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

New pond

It never ceases to amaze me how nature takes advantage of any new habitat. Three weeks ago I lined and filled a 2m x 3m pond and splash pool (I intend to build a filter pond above with a waterfall into the splash pool to assist aeration when the pond is established). We then went on holiday and left things to settle, (Chlorine dispersal etc). I had some canadian pond weed (elodea) on order too which arrived just prior to our going away, so the pond had about 4 days before anything else went in it.

Fast forward a couple of weeks:

After much heckling from my step daughter aged 10, I agreed to purchase 4 small Koi for the bigger pond. While acclimatising them to the pond, I noticed movement on the bottom...there was the biggest water boatman beetle I have seen since I was a lad, easily 2cms from head to tail. I know for a fact that it wasn't in the weed, because it came as a sealed pack of 10 strands in a clear bag which was placed in the splash pool.
Just as we were releasing the fish into the pond, a frog leapt away from his hiding place under a fold in the liner (to my certain knowledge there aren't any other ponds for 200metres in any direction). We're all delighted that wildlife has taken such an early liking to the new environment and my step daughter will try to keep a log of any new additions.
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: New pond

Great stuff - just don't tell MKG - after the traumas of transferring wildlife to his new pond! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aha!!!! So that's where the buggers went.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

My new pond had only been in place for a few weeks when the first dragonfly moved in. It was beautiful. I could watch them for hours.

Nature is amazing isn't it.

Zoe

pumpy

Hello Davie, not wanting to p**s on your fireworks, but we acquired some Koi (12 " + long) & the buggers eat any thing that gets in the pond, apart from frogs. We don't have Waterboatmen, Pondskaters or any other such pondlife. They ate our Lilly, & other aqua plants. However, they can be trained to take food from your fingers & they like anything with a strong flavour.... whether it be blue cheese, garlic, cat/dog food, whatever. Enjoy the fun of a pond....... i can spend ages by ours,watching the fish is like watching the flames of a real fire....... very relaxing :icon_smile: :icon_smile:
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.