Insect ID

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Insect ID

:dontknow:

Pictures aren't great, it decided to fly to the bottom of the wheelie bin when I went back out with my camera. Been through some pics of hoverflies and wasps on G00gle images but can't seem to find it.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Insect ID

I did a quick search and the only thing I could find that looked anywhere near it is a scorpion fly. :dontknow:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Its thorax isn't that long or thin. The yellow is quite bright as well. It's a weird one.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hard to see at the moment. Is that long line one of its antennae (second picture)?

Mike

EDIT: It looks like it's laying eggs, by the way - you're going to have more of whatever it is :iconbiggrin:
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

When they have antennae as long as that they are usually a kind of parasitic wasp. It wont sting, it should be quite harmless...unless you're a caterpillar or what ever it might parasitise.
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just found out its name. It's a ichneumon xanthorius. Apparently the ichneumon species made a lot of people doubt the existence of God, including Darwin, due to it eating the caterpillars during its larval stage.

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Awsome, it does seem a bit evil doesn't it! Creatures like that totally fascinate me!
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

donegalwildman
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

It's certainly an Ichneumon wasp, but you can't id these from photographs: the 3000 or so species that we have in the British Isles converge on a small number of colour patterns, even across families. The only place these lay eggs is inside larvae of moths, butterflies and sawflies.