More on Ubuntu

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

More on Ubuntu

I've been keeping my eye on things.

My broadband connection runs over twice as fast in Ubuntu as it ever did in Windows. Don't ask me why or how - but there's no doubt about it.

Now that has to be a good thing :iconbiggrin:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: More on Ubuntu

What is it MKG?

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

The provider or the speed? :iconbiggrin:

The provider is BT, but I think that'll be no use to you at all.

The speed (and bear in mind this is on a USB connection from the router) never got above 500k under Windows. Under Ubuntu, I regularly get well over 1M. (That's 500k and 1M per second, by the way).

The other thing is that, with no adjustment on my part at all (the router was recognised immediately by Ubuntu, and I've left everything as it is) a connection is established in about 15 seconds from switching the router on. Under Windows, it took much longer.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

dave45
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

The make of router definitely makes a difference too.... after suffering infuriating but intermittent dropouts for years, with Netgear and Billion routers (and don't even mention the b1'@@dy Thomson ), I bought a Draytek Vigor business router... now get no dropouts, and 50% faster speed....(better not tell you how fast as it will make you green!)... All my routers have been standalone / independent of the PC OS though.... ever since I had an Alcatel "sammy sperm"

sometimes you do get what you pay for!