Anyone using Ubuntu?

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
shiela_robins
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Anyone using Ubuntu?

Anybody here has tried the new release of Ubuntu 10 something version?

wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Anyone using Ubuntu?

One of my colleagues recently installed it. I'll upgrade my machine sometime soon (I'm still using the previous long-term support version, 8.04).

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

John Headstrong

I have been using ubuntu for ages and I have taken the leap for 10.04

it is faster at booting other than that it is about the same to be honest but the new theme/desktop settings made the 'min,max,close' buttons appear on the left like it is a MAC! could not handle that !! I just changed theme back to one that works for me.

its great!

Mal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'm waiting for the next version of Mint (www.linuxmint.com) - it's built on Ubuntu but is (in my opinion) a bit better, a little more just-working-out-of-the-boxy.

Mind you, my main computer at the moment is a 13.3" notebook, so I'm a bit excited about the 'Unity' desktop for the next release of the Ubuntu Network Edition which is a lighter version of the OS.
"If you want to catch a loon, you have to think like a loon"

John Headstrong

Mal wrote: a bit better, a little more just-working-out-of-the-boxy.
I totally understand the "working-out-of-the-box", for Ubuntu 9.10 I started to use superOS http://hacktolive.org/wiki/Super_OS which is basically Ubuntu 9.10 with all the things you have to install already done for you. they have not finished the superOS 10.4 version yet.

because IT is my job I choose to use a fairly standard setup so that I can assist clients over the phone/IM and my system looks like theirs, also I can send the smarter clients (or ones that don't pay enough :lol: ) directly to the Ubuntu forums

vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I personally use lubuntu which is really resource light - Its a bit experimental at the moment but every addition gets better

Also, my netbook runs remix which is awesome and the new direction of development seems exciting