Is this a good thing?

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is this a good thing?

This whole section, that is. I'm wondering. There are some threads on here in which I've become quite heated. I think that goes for a number of us - and I'm in two minds (well, at least one of me is).

With a heading like this one, it's always going to be full of debates which polarise opinion and sometimes, especially when one's toes get firmly trodden on, the debate is going to become intense, apparently disturbing the normal equilibrium which is Ish. So is this a good or bad thing? Or does the good/bad argument really not come into it at all?

I think (I think) that the occasional disturbance of the apparent equilibrium may be a good thing, lest we sink into a semblance of a very happy group of people, but one which ignores things happening around us. On the other hand, I'm intensely saddened when people feel that they must leave the community - a word I choose carefully, because Ish, I feel, really is a community.

Should we continue, then, at the risk of alienating some members of this community, or should we be petitioning to have this section removed from the board?

I know where I stand (I think). How about the rest of you?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

pelmetman
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Is this a good thing?

I would definitely vote to keep this section.

Whilst we cannot always agree with what is said this is what makes life interesting.

If we do not like what is being said in the thread we always have the option not to read it!!

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

grahamhobbs

One of the really great things about this forum is the breadth of subjects that arise, as well as the interest and knowledge members have and bring to the debate. There are people who's views are diametrically opposite to mine on many issues but to whom I can look forward to taking their advice on others. Being self-sufficient is not merely how to grow a parsnip or bake a loaf, it is about surviving in this topsy turvey world. I believe intense and even heated debates on the issues that affect us is a wonderful thing. We are a community, look how we support each other, but that does not mean that we cannot have disagreements. Of course it is sad when the argument becomes personal rather than debating the issues, but it would appear to me that the people that have threatened to leave the forum have, in the past, been those that personalised the debate and started the mud-slinging in the first place or thought that their views were sanctified by a higher authority and therefore unquestionable. The forum is for debate, not mutual self-congratulations. Keep it live.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I've been thinking about this a lot recently but in the end I've come to the conclusion that it needs to stay. There's all sorts of chat that comes via this section that I wouldn't miss for the world.

As Sue says if folks don't want to read a thread they can skip it (unless you're a mod :roll: ) and a forum is a fluid thing, members will come and go for all sorts of reasons - high dudgeon being but one of them :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Debate is heathly, so I vote for keeping it as it is. People have a right to their opinions and views. If you diagree, then that is all you need to counter with. If in return, you counter with your own opinions thus adding fuel to the fire, you have to live with the consequences.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

Lost-in-the-Day
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I know I'm new here and don't know the full extent of what flame wars have gone on but my two pence would be to keep this section of the forum. When it comes to news people will always disagree about what is good and what is bad and this way it is contained in one section where people can rant and get it off their chest. And if you don't like what other people have to say then you don't have to read this section of the forum. I'm a member of various forums and on some of them flame wars can break out in section at any time over the silliest of things. This way is much better and probably helps to keep the rest of the forum so friendly and flame free.
Stop Animal Cruelty this Christmas- http://lost-in-the-day.blogspot.com/201 ... stmas.html

noplasticbags
Tom Good
Tom Good

I too vote to keep it. Although I have had some very strong (negative)thoughts about some of the recent posts I can't see it does any harm to be shown both sides of any argument. I dislike when it gets personal, but that's when I like how well the moderators do their job and step in!!

I also like the fact that it is areas of the forum such as this that you tend to build up more of a rounded view of the people you are corresponding with. There are a few, who following the recent debate, I shall probably think of a little less, but at least now I know whose opinions are more in line with my own.

I think I would visit the site less often if it were to be kept purely on-topic - somedays I don't read about self-sufficiency at all :iconbiggrin:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I've had responses to some of my posts over the years that have upset me but I've never even bothered to look to see what forum they were in. As has already been suggested, if someone says something I don't like, I just ignore them. If people are going to be so offended by a posting on a forum that they walk out, I'm afraid they really are going to struggle through real life.

I vote to keep.
Zoe

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

As a member of this family called Ish, I think that to avoid anything we think may cause controvesry, would be to self imposed censorship, for if we as a family, cannot find our way through our disagreements, then what happens to free speech, and all the other values we allegedly aspire too.
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

I too vote we keep it.
As you may have noticed I put my pennyworth in but then withdrew.I do get upset if someone disagrees with me. I am not sure if public humiliation is at the root of my upset? however if it is something I feel really strongly about ( and I believe I am knowledgeable rather than opinionated)
The problem, as I see it lies in the sensitivity of the individual and the perceived intention of the writer to inflame/ offend.
As one old lag put it. "It's a bit like oral sex , it's ok at the time but leaves a nasty taste in your mouth after"
Oops hope that didn't offend anyone it was meant to make you laugh :hugish:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

Millymollymandy

Keep it, because there are just as many debates (arguments/stomping offs) in the Ish local as here! Differences of opinion can even happen in the fruit section! :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Millymollymandy

trinder wrote:I , it's ok at the time but leaves a nasty taste in your mouth after"
Thought that was eating MacDonalds? :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

bonniethomas06

I say keep it! I quite like the drama. Thomzo is right, we can all agree to disagree and if you can't, it is good practice!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

I say 'keep it' too.

The heated debates may well find their way into the 'chat' section and that would be far, far worse than an odd disagreement here.

However, I do feel that a healthy disagreement is often a good thing, so long as it stays adult and respectful. It's when things degenerate into childish name calling that there is a problem, but this place is blessed with EXCELLANT Mods who know just when to slap our wrists.

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

boboff

It's very childish / Methodist to get your coat if you can't get your own way.

The same can be said for personally attacking people and not expecting a personal responce.

Personally I have allot more right wing views than most of you lentil eating, sandal wearing Hippies, so look forward to roughing it up with the lefties on here!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/