The Merry-go-round begins ...

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Merry-go-round begins ...

The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

oldfella
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Re: The Merry-go-round begins ...

All us old folk can do is worry about the future for our kids, cos its danm sure no one listens to us
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

Lilyfae
Tom Good
Tom Good

As a history teacher I preempted the comparisons to the scramble for Africa in the late 19th century one because the industrialised nations had exhausted their own resources and two because of the political gains of control of said resources. Nothing changes does it.

It's a terrible indication of the nature of humanity to willingly plunder in the knowledge they can cause catastrophe.
Furthermore it's a shame that as people don't live there governments will brush off claims of colonisation when that is in fact what it is- interesting as USA is big part in this when they were the biggest anti-imperial voices actively encouraging both Britain & France to give up their Empires in the early-mid 20th century

Santanaya's famous quote about those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it is generally overused but It sadly fits so perfectly here.
Poor Gaia continuously plundered for her blood & bones- there are sometimes when I wouldn't blame her wiping us out.

oldjerry

oldfella wrote:All us old folk can do is worry about the future for our kids, cos its danm sure no one listens to us

No smart arsed response from me......my kids are 11,6 and 4. Somethings you just cant bear to ponder.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

It can get worse - here's a current Obama quote (about Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico, but hey ...)

"But I believe that we should continue to expand oil production in America - even as we increase safety and environmental standards," he said.

Doublespeak, or not?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

oldjerry

It's strange,with Bush you knew who hand their hand up his wotsit,operating his mouth,d'you think the same people are working Obama?

The Riff-Raff Element

oldjerry wrote:It's strange,with Bush you knew who hand their hand up his wotsit,operating his mouth,d'you think the same people are working Obama?
Don't think so. I just think he knows that Mr & Mrs Average Punter are interested only in what they can afford to consume and he has to at least be seen to be trying to maximise this. That and stamping out any pesky beardy types. He wants to get re-elected.

paul123456
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello there ,

is this not called evolution ? When the tectonic plates create an earthquake of volcano eruption , it is nature .
When stupid burn fossile fuel , it is nature , and because of that the artic ice melts , it is nature .
And so stupid humans mine the artic for fossile fuels and speed up the process .

regards,

Paul

oldjerry

You may well be right,sadly.Trouble is if people in general accepted this idea of predestination you'd just get a higher level of nihilistic behaviour than there is already ,if that's possible...

(Now, there's a cheery thought on a gloomy Monday morning!)