Well it had to happen

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Well it had to happen

Well it had to happen, I was listening to the radio this morning and a news report came on about scientists who have sythesized pig meat creating artifical steak :pukeright: , they said it was better for the environment less carbon emissions from pig poo and knider for the animals. :shaking:

does anyone see a problem with this, if we have artificial meat what do we do with all the animals, and just because we stop eating them doesn't mean animals will stop crapping.

If artifical meat is on the horizon I think its time to get rid of scientists, they obviously have nothing better to do with their time. :shaking: :lol:
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

Gert
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 51.126621
longitude: -1.933950

Re: Well it had to happen

It's starting to get a bit crazy :scratch:

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

There was a similar thing discussed on here a while ago - but that time it was chicken meat. The whole thing is a bit frankenstein to me and you certainly wouldn't find me growing it on my windowsill! :pukeright:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

It's not marketed as Soylent Green is it :pale: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Gert
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 51.126621
longitude: -1.933950

Exactly Green Aura, but how long before Soylent Green is actually on the shelves in T**c* :shock:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, not sure if this is relevant but it all happened before and promptly sunk into oblivion.
About 30 years ago there was lots of excitement about synthetic "meat" made from some sort of fungus. If I remember right it was extruded and then woven into "steaks" and the tasters on the TV program (probably Tomorrows World) swore blind that it was indistinguishable from the real thing. But real life customers obviously disagreed as I never heard of it again.
The same happened when TVP was invented, they claimed that meat flavoured TVP would take over from real meat and although TVP is still around of course, I don't hear of many meat eaters eating it in preference to roast beef.
It doesn't really matter what they "invent" it's the end user that decides if it will succeed or not.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Isn't the fungus meat (I'm sure they'd prefer it be called mycoprotein :lol: ) Quorn, Tony?
If so it's not doing badly, although personally I prefer my food unknitted :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

No idea Maggie, could well be quorn but it certainly hasn't replaced meat and it's had 30 odd years to try to do just that.
As a dedicated carnivore I have to say I've never tried quorn or to the best of my knowledge even seen quorn.

If it's possible to grow your own you could knit the Sunday roast on these long winters nights. :mrgreen:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Is this actually meat, rather than a fungus type thing? I know they can make ears, etc separate from anything living now so I imagine that this is actual meat. Does anyone have an article link? I'd love to know a bit more before I give my opinion :lol:

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

I heard one of the scientists involved being interviewed on the radio this morning.

He was asked if he'd actually tasted the synthetic pork. The answer was "no" but his tone of voice made it seem like "not likely!!" Far more research needed apparently...

grahoom
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... atory.html

here is a link to an article about it.
The scientists extracted cells from the muscle of a live pig and then put them in a broth of other animal products. The cells then multiplied and created muscle tissue. They believe that it can be turned into something like steak if they can find a way to artificially "exercise" the muscle.

mmm appetising!!!
|You can't feel lonely with nature as your companion| millican dalton

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

I think that Social physicist Freeman Dyson, was oh so right
"JUst because we can does not mean we should"
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

I wouldn't mind trying artificial meat, actually... I have a moral issue with meat because it comes from a living animal, but I really like the taste (and am too fussy to be sufficiently nutriented without it in my diet!). I quite like quorn, but having been a poor student all my life, have never replaced all my carnivourous eatings with it. Not sure about the "exercised pork cells" though - maybe if the scientists tried it first!
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Brij wrote:I wouldn't mind trying artificial meat, actually... I have a moral issue with meat because it comes from a living animal, but I really like the taste (and am too fussy to be sufficiently nutriented without it in my diet!). I quite like quorn, but having been a poor student all my life, have never replaced all my carnivourous eatings with it. Not sure about the "exercised pork cells" though - maybe if the scientists tried it first!
Personally I find Quorn quite tasteless, there's loads of more tasty meat alternatives out there, or just a good old handmade veggie burger! I don't like the sound of artificial meat, because of the whole messing with nature thing, but do appreciate the problems of meat production. I'm not completely sure of their intentions, but in this country we're so lucky to have lots of different foods available. Do we really need meat so much that we need to make it artificially? :shock: Just eat something else! :lol:

Rosendula

I used to eat quorn when I was pescy. And the meat-eaters of the household used to eat it sometimes as well. It was a way for us to only cook one meal that we could all eat. We usually used it instead of chicken, and made into a curry it was OK. The Quorn itself is tasteless, but as part of a dish it gives it texture, which I appreciated.

Since returning to carnivorousness, I haven't eaten Quorn, and I don't think I will ever again. How things change...

Edited to add what I actually came on to say: You're right. Quorn is made from a type of fungus. And I think there's egg in it, so not suitable for vegans. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure there was a bit of a hoo-har a few years ago when it was discovered the eggs used were from caged hens.
Rosey xx