HANGING CLOTHES TO DRY / news article.

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: HANGING CLOTHES TO DRY / news article.

That's a religious thing! Thou shalt not do thy laundry on a Sunday. :iconbiggrin: But that's what they've been doing (or not doing) for centuries and is part of their culture/religion/whatever - saw something about it on the telly, so it's not for us incomers to rock the boat in tiny communities like that.

But - far more important - SWALLOWS already? :shock: :shock: :shock: Monika aren't you still under a foot of snow? There are no birds nesting here yet at all, only just started singing a week or so back. Glad to hear they are on the way though. :thumbright:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

pelmetman

I am amazed how much interest this topic has raised :shock: But then again knowing that Sue is very particular how you hang out your washing, ie socks together trousers upside down and all graduated :?
Fortunatley I made a misstake when I was asked to hang out the washing once :iconbiggrin: Not been asked since :lol:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

My OH has trouble hanging the washing out, is certainly a bit higgledy piggeldy and I have to restrain myself from going a fiddling however, it all dries the same way :roll: whats that saying? ' change what you can and have the strength to accept what you can't ' :lol:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

Green Rosie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Right - I've found the clothes pegs (right in front of my nose :oops: ), the sun is shining, so I think the towels can go out on the line today :iconbiggrin:

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Washing on line here too - complete with four odd socks (where do the other ones go.....?)

And - I THOUGHT I saw a swallow yesterday. Just one and I can't be sure but I'm on the look out! Really too early for them to be back around here - first sighting was late March last year.

Could spring be really sprung? :flower:

Green Rosie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mrs Moustoir wrote:Washing on line here too - complete with four odd socks (where do the other ones go.....?)
Only one odd sock here today from 2 loads of washing - that's pretty good for me - likewise I really have no idea where they go :dontknow:

Big Al

Mrs Moustoir wrote:Washing on line here too - complete with four odd socks (where do the other ones go.....?)
Sock monster eats them......
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

theabsinthefairy

Hi MMM - yep first swallows appeared last weekend - bashing their poor little heads on my glass studio door trying to fly in to the rafters they used last year. They have already taken the two nests in the barn back and have started rebuilding them.

And whilst my friend appreciates that it is a religious thing they wish that someone had warned them before hand - they had no idea they were doing something that would be frowned upon, and that it took a year for their neighbours to speak to them and finally explain was very demoralising after a difficult move. Oh well - each to their own. :dontknow:

On the bright side - sunny days - so all the washing out on the line!!! :sunny:
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

Millymollymandy

theabsinthefairy wrote:And whilst my friend appreciates that it is a religious thing they wish that someone had warned them before hand - they had no idea they were doing something that would be frowned upon, and that it took a year for their neighbours to speak to them and finally explain was very demoralising after a difficult move. Oh well - each to their own. :dontknow:
Seems a bit OTT, to wait a year before explaining! At least when we moved to France and mowed our lawn on a Sunday one of the neighbours warned us that we weren't supposed to be doing it; this was probably after a few months. She'd been though the same thing when she first moved there as she was from Italy (plus she got a warning letter from the Mairie)! Nowadays after years here that rule is completely normal but we did react with 'what? :shock: ' when we first moved here. Now we in turn get annoyed when anyone uses a noisy power tool on a Sunday! :mrgreen:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

Top of my list is 'find whirligig', as some numty (my darling husband) left it on the ground where he'd dismantled it then stacked a ton of logs on top of it, cheers! Our w'gig is in a very awkward place and gets taken down over the winter. I'd much prefer it somewhere sensible where it could stay up, but you can't have everything. I don't like hanging things out twice, so either they go on the line and stay there til dry (a fortnight if necessary!) or they go on the racks in the conservatory. We have a big industrial style conservatory with no blinds or opening windows and it gets unbearably hot, really naff design which we can't change as we rent, but it's fantastic for drying clothes and nappies.

Squeamishness and green-ness don't go together IMO.
Raising four from 1 to 17 in ruralmost Herefordshire: http://39again.wordpress.opensure.net/

theabsinthefairy

We have had nearly a week of lovely spring like weather and so I have been hanging EVERYTHING outside to air it all out after the winter smoky fires, such a common sight here to see all the farmhouses with the windows thrown open and the bedding hanging out for everyone to see.

I have had problems with the swallows being convinced that the studio has not been renovated and that they can still get in and nest - they keep flying into the glass door poor things, but have managed to work out that there is now a new window opening in the barn and they have got a couple of new nests on the go there.
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

happyhippy

Well I spent 30 years living in Australia so was used to drying clothes outside,even though some people I knew used to dryer in winter.I have spent 10 years in the UK.When my husband and I first got together,he brought me a tumble dryer as a surprise present!More like a shock! :icon_smile: Anyway I persuaded my partner to return the TD,and have never owned one since.I seem to be the only person around where I live that hangs washing on a line!!!I am lucky I have an undercover area that can be used should the weather turn nasty,but I pretty much got everything dry or dry(ish)and then finished it off on a large airer inside if need be.Some people I know through work never hang clothes on a line even in mid summer which I find quite shocking(and sad to be honest)!

citizentwiglet

A work colleague of mine tumble-dries EVERYTHING. Line-dried clothes, apparently, 'give her the creeps'.... :roll:

Her tumble-drying her table napkins gives me the creeps.........
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

We have no choice here, its dry outside or dry indoors with the aircon on full. Over the winter, we had to dry indoors because its humid here and two weeks for stuff to dry was going overboard!!

However...i have to admit dearest Ishers...i prefer tumble dried clothes. The feel softer and smell better. I don't like the smell of line-dried clothes, and it gets a bit stinky round here, so i don't really like the smell of my clothes when they come in, i'd rather dry them indoors with the aircon on...

BUT...i do dry my clothes outside. Even my undies. I figure that they look the same as Chinese undies...just a bit bigger!!

Hahaha just remembered something that happened just after we got here...we had undies drying on peggy things in our rooms and when our co-ordinator came in, she was horrified! She grabbed the peggy things and hung them outside explaing that she believes (as most chinese women do) that you need to put underwear outside to kill bacteria!

*stuffed*
Tom Good
Tom Good

I am having trouble with line drying at the moment......I live in very urban area and as soon as we get a dry day there are bbqs all around and my clothes end up stinking :angryfire:
I used to tumble dry but am trying to be good, just can't stand the stink of bbq smoke. I'm hoping it is just a phase which will get boring as the weather gets better!