HANGING CLOTHES TO DRY / news article.

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
spitfire
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 38.579065
longitude: -121.491014

Re: HANGING CLOTHES TO DRY / news article.

it was also on yahoo news on the day i posted it. the yahoo news article was about another state here in the usa, the one in our local paper a few days earlier was about a subdivision here in sacramento california.
WHEN MY IRISH EYES ARE SMILING I'M USUALLY UP TO SOMETHING!!!
NEVER REGRET THAT WHICH ONCE MADE YOU SMILE.

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

amazed - and joining the head shaking group!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

crowsashes

hmmm ... :salute: bit daft if you ask me.

spider8

Yep, I'm shaking my head too.
Having a husband who is an amateur radio nut, we have never had washing lines, we have had aerials instead. Any washing line poles have been stripped of their lines to be replaced by these aerials (look very similar to me :dontknow: ) and I've never been able to hang out washing and we've never had a tumble drier either.
All washing gets draped on various airers or put on hangers (comes out of high spin washer almost dry anyway) and ignored by me for as long as possible as ironing is my most hated chore :pukeright:
Now we are in Orkney we've heard that a washing line can be a good way to make friends and meet people as you can travel many miles to retreive your blown-away washing, so I'm told - cream valance sheet last seen heading towards Hoy! Personally we prefer using Freecycle, made loads of friends through that :icon_smile:
I still haven't got a washing line.............probably never will but, tbh, I don't miss one however how can some places ban something like that - mental!
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I use a dryer 90% of the time. Not because of the weather or anything, really. I could use the line, except that's right where the dog's s***, and the line only holds 1 1/2 loads (I do 4-5 at a time, usually).. and because I have the WORST memory and that stupid line is on the most AWKWARD side of the house I never check and....

... I bleach a lot of my clothes 'cause I forget they're out there, okay? :oops:

If I don't use a dryer, we end up with white streaks across all our clothes, haha. I want to work on trying the line again, but I swear... every single time I forget it out's there. And since I do all my laundry one day a week... it's a week before I see it again. Whiter this time.

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

See Facebook - I love to hang my washing out to dry - I've signed up a lot of people! Let go viral with this - I part dried clothes today, even though there was snow on the ground, the air was bone dry and a good dry wind. I part dried six bath towels and then finished drying them on the shelia maid.

Millymollymandy

ElizabethBinary wrote:I use a dryer 90% of the time. Not because of the weather or anything, really. I could use the line, except that's right where the dog's s***, and the line only holds 1 1/2 loads (I do 4-5 at a time, usually).. and because I have the WORST memory and that stupid line is on the most AWKWARD side of the house I never check and....

... I bleach a lot of my clothes 'cause I forget they're out there, okay? :oops:

If I don't use a dryer, we end up with white streaks across all our clothes, haha. I want to work on trying the line again, but I swear... every single time I forget it out's there. And since I do all my laundry one day a week... it's a week before I see it again. Whiter this time.
That's one of the reasons I hate the things because they ruin your clothes bleaching that line on them. The 2nd is bird shit and also I hate peg marks on clothes - I don't iron t-shirts but I don't want peg marks on them either. Oh and the 4th reason is that clothes lines are just downright ugly!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Meredith171
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I don't know what I would do without my clothes line! grandma has one, Mom has one and I thought everybody had one! What is better than spending time outside in the sunshine, hanging up laundry and having it dry natually and smell wonderful!!??!?!?

In the winter months, I use wooden drying racks in from of the pellet stove. It not only heats the house but dries the clothes pretty fast!

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi Millymollymandy and Elizabeth - you could make a badge "remember the washing" if it's dry where you are hang the clothes out before you go to bed and bring them in the morning - the sun does bleach them if you leave them out for too long. You could just hang out the whites - or put out a clothes stand just by the door you use so you don't forget. Unless electricity is free and green where you live - can I not beg, very , very nicely that if you have sunshine that you hang outside. It's free and green - I am begging xxx

ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

liskeardjane wrote:Hi Millymollymandy and Elizabeth - you could make a badge "remember the washing" if it's dry where you are hang the clothes out before you go to bed and bring them in the morning - the sun does bleach them if you leave them out for too long. You could just hang out the whites - or put out a clothes stand just by the door you use so you don't forget. Unless electricity is free and green where you live - can I not beg, very , very nicely that if you have sunshine that you hang outside. It's free and green - I am begging xxx
I do hang the whites up, but the get pooed on sometimes. Erghs.

I do pay extra for green energy, but again, not free. At least it's green? Ahhh boo. I have bleached so many nice dresses... I'll try overnight for smaller loads since my line is so tiny. I'll put thongs by the door so I don't step in doggypoo.

Flo

Just remind me not to move to posh areas - we all have clothes lines in my terrace. Suits us. As we have yards of our own and they are on our way in/out of house we are not going to forget them unless we don't go out of the house for 10 days.

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've noticed every one has their washing hanging out in the winter sunshine today, I part dry mine out side then put it next to the radiator in the evening but I don't have a machine to dry it and I mostly wash the clothes by hand anyway. Saves energy and costs and is of course greener

Milims

We had sunshine here today too. So I put some washing out - it didn't dry at all but it was nice to see it flapping on the line for the first time in ages.
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

liskeardjane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Don't mean to boast Milims, but it was about 10 degrees here today and every I washed byhand almost dried, just finishing off towels and tee shirts on the rads before they go off at 8. But Cornwall is the tropics compared to some places.

Flo

Sigh - the things that happen in Cornwall that we don't get here (well you know that it's grim up north don't you? :mrgreen: :lol: )