do these stories not annoy anyone else?!

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

do these stories not annoy anyone else?!

Ok I've been arguing this out with a friend-of-a-friend on Facebook after the first friend in question posted this link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7965380.stm

Now, I don't know about you but i am SO sick of hearing that everything I do, eat, drink and everywhere I go or live or everything I live with or sleep on or clothe myself in is going to give me cancer!

I'm not saying that it's proven that the 'healthier' lifestyle and all of that can help LESSEN the risk but... every little story at the moment seems to be annoying me beyond boiling point! I think it's SO irresponsible of the media (and the BBC, no less!) to keep posting articles here there and everywhere when, in reality, the articles are based on a modicum of preliminary research and nothing solid!

Grr..!!

Seriously though, just do a search on the news website for "cancer" and see how many things come up that are, frankly, irresponsible articles that are reporting on only half-truths or bits of small "evidence"...

GRR...

I will shut up now....

...but please, discuss!
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.

MuddyWitch
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Re: do these stories not annoy anyone else?!

To a great extent I agree with you. The media as a whole (& probably the BBC in particular) can be very irrisponsible on stories like this. Especially if it's a 'quiet news day' as if that's some kind of excuse.

On the other hand I'm old enough to remember when they refused to point out the link between smoking & cancer 20 years after the first research had PROVED a link. And don't get me started on 'mad cow disease'!

I really think the story is slanted depending on who that day's editor is & her/his views.

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

StripyPixieSocks

Nope, you're not the only one, when I read the headline this morning I said something rude about the 'scientists' who brought this out going forth an multiplying!

Wait a while and next week it will be the reverse!

I think I might go and get some Government grant as I believe everyone who died of Cancer might have been breathing air and with a bit of jiggery pokery I can make it look like breathing can cause Cancer!!!!

Idiots the lot of them!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Ellendra

I ate right, exercised, never smoked, etc, and I'm one of the unhealthiest people you could meet, with fibromyalgia and some unknown disease that's eating my brain out. I get sick and tired of people lecturing me on my diet. If this stuff is caused by a bad diet, why doesn't it strike people who live on beer and pizza?

Millymollymandy

I take most of these stories especially the food fad ones with a pinch of salt! Next month drinking tea will no doubt help ward off cancer. :roll:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Shirley

I think they did that already M3 - anyway, unless you drink your tea black and at a scalding temperature then you should be ok - according to that article.

There is always something that you should do - don't eat butter, don't eat marg, don't feed peanut butter to under 5s, DO feed peanut butter to under 5s. I'm sure that if we looked into who is funding each of the studies we'd find some interesting reading!

Anyone for a cuppa?
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

JulieSherris

Well I for one let this sort of 'story' go in one ear & outta the other.... never to stop in between.

I remember when the CJD scares were absolutely rife & a lot of folks stopped eating beef... including my mum who was SO shocked that something as basic as eating a burger could threaten your life so badly... now SHE was the ultimate mad cow - she smoked 60 a day for 45 years, but got scared of eating beef products..... :roll:

Everything in moderation folks - apart from cream cakes & chocolate biscuits which you may eat in vast quantities should you so wish....... :mrgreen:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

invisiblepiper

JulieSherris wrote: Everything in moderation folks - apart from cream cakes & chocolate biscuits which you may eat in vast quantities should you so wish....... :mrgreen:
I'm taking that as official permission Julie!!! :lol:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

SigridStallard
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

JulieSherris wrote:Well I for one let this sort of 'story' go in one ear & outta the other.... never to stop in between.

Everything in moderation folks - apart from cream cakes & chocolate biscuits which you may eat in vast quantities should you so wish....... :mrgreen:

It is obvious I have just found my long lost sister. :wink:

There is no other explanation why you would have the same dietary philosophy and listening abilities.

Sigrid

Who has a chocolate allergy, as it obviously makes her hips swell up.

shell
Living the good life
Living the good life

heavens,you would never eat or drink if you took every thing on board that they say,can you think of any food or drink that they havnt attacked?i cant,some where some one will be doing a writing up on your favourite food,
its aliens trying to starve us or send us barmy so they can take over our planet :mrgreen:

Big Al

Ellendra wrote:I ate right, exercised, never smoked, etc, and I'm one of the unhealthiest people you could meet, with fibromyalgia and some unknown disease that's eating my brain out. I get sick and tired of people lecturing me on my diet. If this stuff is caused by a bad diet, why doesn't it strike people who live on beer and pizza?

...ah that's because beer and pizza are only responsible for obeasity, diabetes, heart disease and strokes..........
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Millymollymandy

I never stopped eating beef, or eggs. As I smoker myself I think that it would be fairly hypocritical and pointless of me to worry about the possibility of getting cancer from various food products. Having said that I'm not going to go out of my way to breathe asbestos dust or visit Chernobyl, but as Julie says, everything in moderation and bit of common sense!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

you know, I'm glad I'm no the onlyone being driven insane by these scare stories!! all I can honestly say about it "been there, done that, got the t-shirt (well... got the marks atleast!)". I actually asked my doc "what caused it?" and his answer was simply we don't know... so I asked "is it thi, this this this" poiting out 'bad' things in my diet (coke, chocolate, smoking, etc) and no, none of them he said "some people are just unlucky".... not a ot of help but then in other ways a vast ammount of help!

Grr... thse bloody stories!!!
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.

Ellendra

JulieSherris wrote:

My great-great aunt has a saying, "Everything in moderation, including moderation."

She just turned 103 this year.

Thomzo

I am convinced that the media is bent on making us all so depressed we daren't venture out of our houses and we just sit there watching the TV all day. If it's not the credit crunch, it's knife crime, cancer scares, global warming, etc, etc.

One thing I do know for certain though. We are all going to die of something. Sorry to be so depressing :lol:

Zoe
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk