Mobile homes on agricultural land

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Corn Cockle
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Mobile homes on agricultural land

Hi, I am very interested in selling my cottage and buying a few acres of agricultural land. I wouldn't be able to afford one with a nice posh house on it, but could afford the land and a very decent mobile home. Are there any planning restrictions on doing this, it can't be that easy can it?

grahoom
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

there will be restrictions on the land - I don't think you will be able to have a permanent residence there. - this would include a nice mobile home.

i did a quick search on line and found this discussion on another board.

http://www.planningresource.co.uk/forum ... readid=269

might be of help.
|You can't feel lonely with nature as your companion| millican dalton

Martin
A selfsufficientish Regular

not a snowball's.......they use spotter planes nowadays........ :geek:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Corn Cockle
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Mobile homes and freedom

I thought that there were laws for agricultural works, but that is probably something quite different. I guess if you bought somewhere with planning permission or the ruins of a house perhaps that would be different.

Thanks for your replies.

ina

I had heard that you were allowed a mobile home if the agricultural work you are doing on the land requires it. However, just recently I read about a farmer who was staying in his pigs' "accomodation" overnight during farrowing time because he couldn't get consent...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

rules vary wildly depending where u are doing it. Also, the definition of 'mobile home' has legal meanings under the caravans act. Tents and railway carriages are not considered as mobile homes. Neither are tentlike structures ie. Benders, tipis, gers, provided they are not a permanent residence, dont have mains services, foundations and can be moved in one piece or dismantled and set up quickly.

I think martin means not a snowballs in england because in parts of scotland u are perfectly entitled to apply 4 planning 4 a house then site a caravan while you build and then u r allowed to keep a caravan in the curtilage of a dwelling 4 as long as u want under permitted development..

Bluebell
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Mobile Home

Hi
It depends on the size of your land and how you are using it. We applied for approval for a mobile home but the planners are not keen and we are still awaiting a decision. It is easier to get a caravan for seasonal use but you have to demonstrate that the land is being used productively and warrants accommodation for employment reasons. If you can demonstrate a profit is being made from the agricultural activities then you can apply for a temporary agricultural dwelling for which a mobile home is often accepted. It has to be a structure that can be moved and you still have to have full planning permission. This lasts for 3 years and then you need to apply again to extend it or go for a permanent dwelling. This is then subject to a stringent financial and functional test where you have to show it is making the equivalent of at least one full time wage ( this varies from council to council). It is not easy but you can see why. The countryside would be littered with mobile homes if it were. However, for those who would just love to be able to live on their own bits of land as a lifestyle choice it is really frustrating.
Bluebell :flower:
Happiness is wanting what you have.