Building a Barn...er..shed!

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
MW1LCR
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Building a Barn...er..shed!

Hello everyone

I am planning on building a shed cum barn on a piece of my land. I am going to use a number of old telegraph poles as up rights, and a corrugated tin roof on the top. The sides will be timber, as will the doors.

All re-cycled, except for the nails, screws and hinges. Anyone got any experince of doing this ? Biggest problem I see is getting the uprights (16 foot posts cut from old telegraph poles) into position. Any ideas ?

Also I've run into some planning claptrap from the local Council. I need planning permission (PP) for my shed as its within 20 metres of a public footpath (that no one uses because the council won't maintain it). This I can handle.

The main PP issue is that I also want to put up a stock shelter for my sheep & eventually pigs. In conversation with the Council official this morning, it transpires I need PP for a tin stock shelter / pig arc !!! Can you believe this claptrap !Anyone got any ideas about this ?

Adrian

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Building a Barn...er..shed!

What country are you in .... er, sorry I can't say your name. :lol: It would help if you filled in your location in your Profile.

If you are in France then I'm not surprised at all because you need to apply for permission for the smallest of greenhouses and any kind of dinky garden shed or animal shelter.

Edit - just seen - Adrian! I can type that!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

MW1LCR
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Erm Wales

Filled in the profile...nice Aylesbury Duck.

Adrian

Millymollymandy

Yes I saw you were in Wales when I looked at the other thread! Just out of interest why on earth did you choose such a wierd spam like user name though, Adrian? :scratch:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

John Headstrong

Yes I saw you were in Wales when I looked at the other thread! Just out of interest why on earth did you choose such a wierd spam like user name though, Adrian? :scratch:

I thought it was a postcode at first then I realised that is a call sign for amateur radio.

:thumbleft:

Thurston Garden

Adrian

I recently build a carport/barn affair from floor joists with a tin roof.

I am not up on Welsh planning but in some places if the structure is not fixed to the ground, it's effectively movable and therefore permittied development and won't need consent. My structure is sitting on flagstones and each leg is bolted to the flagstone. Would this be necessary if you were building the structure from telegraph poles? I imagine that if it was oriented so as to avoid the prevailing wind, the weight of the structure might be sufficient to keep it from blowing away?

I understand that once a piece of land (in Scotland, at least) has a holding number, then there are certain types of agricultural building which can be erected without consent. I might be tempted to try and work out what the Council would let you stick up as permitted development (thus not needing consent) and try to keep within these limits.

Consent for a pig ark seems ridiculous though!

Good luck.
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

mybarnconversion
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sounds like my big metal shed which is a telegraph pole framed building with a galvanised metal roof and wood cladding.

I didn't put up the poles and roof, but from what I can tell and guess they were hoisted / man-handled into place roughly (this certainly isn't a square building) and sit in deepish rubble packed, concrete filled holes.

I'll take some more pictures over the next couple of days and post some of the detail that may help your own project.

In relation to planners and PP my advice is just agree with them ... take the route of least resistance, may cost a bit more and seem like a waste of time, but an unhappy planner can always cause you more heartache than you'll ever cause him (unless of course you know where he lives and bear grudges ;) )

Good luck!