Little things that really annoy you!

Do you know about an event that you want to talk about? Is there a campaign you have started, are involved in or want to start? Inspired by Marvin Gaye this is your place to tell the world what's going on.
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Little things that really annoy you!

Acerbic, bilious posters on a forum which is reknown for it's approachability and inclusiveness are really annoying me these days.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

boboff

Fair
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

JulieSherris

boboff wrote: Annoying me are badly typed, gramatically poor posts, where the poster has broke the "Caps" button, and all punctuation marks have disapeared from the keyboard!
Oh come on - you're joking.... right??

gramatically = grammatically
disapeared = disappeared

And you wonder why we use smilies...... :roll:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Susie wrote:This doesn't annoy me as much as I just find it a bit incomprehensible:

Women who wear shoes they can't walk in, in places where you have got to walk a reasonable distance. Now, I love heels, and I can walk in heels (so this is not sour grapes!) but, I do not care how good at it you are or how expensive your shoes are, they are not the best for long distances. So I see a lot of women wandering round in summer wearing very fashionable shoes with tortured expressions and that strange gait where you stick your backside out and your head forward to balance better. Ladies, especially the one who nearly fell on me near the cheese in Marks and Spencer, this is not a good look, also I do not believe you can be comfortable. Embrace the flat or at least wait until winter when you can wear stiletto boots which are easier and more comfortable!

I think I am getting old.
:lol: Then so am I. I used to have a friend who insisted on wearing 8+ inch heels. She would grab on to my arm to balance herself and we would walk everywhere at a tenth of normal walking pace.

Zoe

boboff

JulieSherris wrote:
boboff wrote: Annoying me are badly typed, gramatically poor posts, where the poster has broke the "Caps" button, and all punctuation marks have disapeared from the keyboard!
bonniethomas06 wrote:Oh come on - you're joking.... right??
Oh come on - you're joking.... right??
gramatically = grammatically
disapeared = disappeared

And you wonder why we use smilies...... :roll:
bonniethomas06 wrote:Acerbic, bilious posters on a forum which is reknown for it's approachability and inclusiveness are really annoying me these days.
boboff wrote:Fair

Now I know I have my issues, but I am really not that bad!

Yes it was a joke.

I thought it was funny!

I had already acknowledged this.

I thought it was as daft as blaming the government for having special offers on high fat & high sugar goods...........

Oh, I do love you Julie! :grouphug:
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

JulieSherris

boboff wrote:

Yes it was a joke.

I thought it was funny!

I thought it was as daft as blaming the government for having special offers on high fat & high sugar goods...........

Now see here Boboff, your original post could have been read 2 ways... yes, I could see the humour there, but to be quite honest, a lot of the time, I have no idea whether you're being serious or not and the majority of your posts aren't exactly oozing laughs.
Sometimes your posts 'sound' like you're sniping, or trying to be insulting without actually coming right out with it... and so we're now back to the reason of why folks use the smiley icons.

To me, smilies are as much a part of forum life as punctuation is in real life... like 'Let's eat, Grandma!' versus 'Let's eat Grandma!'
Without the occasional :wink: or :roll: or even :oops: some posts can be read in a totally different way to how they were meant when being typed... hence Bonnie's comment as well.

I often say things to folks with a totally straight face & only when they do the double take do I smile or wink... and I guess a lot of us do things like that, but on forums this isn't possible, so we use our smilies & hope that no-one gets crossed wires.

OK, I'm off my soapbox... and now going to have a wander through our woods to see what I can see.....

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

JulieSherris wrote:
boboff wrote:

Yes it was a joke.

I thought it was funny!

Now see here Boboff, your original post could have been read 2 ways... yes, I could see the humour there, but to be quite honest, a lot of the time, I have no idea whether you're being serious or not and the majority of your posts aren't exactly oozing laughs.
Sometimes your posts 'sound' like you're sniping, or trying to be insulting without actually coming right out with it... and so we're now back to the reason of why folks use the smiley icons.

To me, smilies are as much a part of forum life as punctuation is in real life... like 'Let's eat, Grandma!' versus 'Let's eat Grandma!'
Without the occasional :wink: or :roll: or even :oops: some posts can be read in a totally different way to how they were meant when being typed... hence Bonnie's comment as well.

I often say things to folks with a totally straight face & only when they do the double take do I smile or wink... and I guess a lot of us do things like that, but on forums this isn't possible, so we use our smilies & hope that no-one gets crossed wires.

OK, I'm off my soapbox... and now going to have a wander through our woods to see what I can see.....
EYE RULLY CARNT SEEE WHOT AWL THE FURS IS ABBOTT????

(Just kidding!) :lol:

Hey! Maybe what we need on here is a smiley that indicates a bit of stirring is going on? :icon_smile: :lol: :icon_smile:

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ooh! A wooden spoon smiley heh heh ! :iconbiggrin:

Lorna x

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have no comment to make, many of my posts having been taken entirely the wrong way.

No - I lied. I do have something to say. It may be a good thing if, after reading a post which has incensed one (oh, posh :iconbiggrin: ), one took a deep breath and thought again. On the other hand, it may be a good idea if original posters re-read their missives before pressing the commit button. And then again, this is a board on the internet where face-to-face communication isn't possible, so maybe everyone - writers and readers - should be more careful. On the other hand again, why would it happen that on a board such as this, where everyone is thinking certainly along similarish lines, there are sometimes such heated exchanges?

Please write your answers down, but do not post them - it may only cause an argument.

Of course, my questions are akin to "Why do women always have the last word even if I was the one to speak last?" Unanswerable. But what I really, REALLY, like about this place is that it's possible to have a spat and then twenty minutes later it's all over and forgotten. Long may that continue.

Oh ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

bonniethomas06

Sorry if I bit your head off Boboff, I am not usually wound up by these things but I was in a bit of a grumper this morning.

Lets all be friends, life is too short. :flower:

And so as to prove there's no malice:

:thumbright: :flower: :wave: :wink: :mrgreen: :sunny: :cheers: :hugish: :grouphug: :iconbiggrin:

:wink:
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

boboff

Bonnie, you were quite right, I like you all the more for saying it, it was very well put.

Mike is also, as usual, right.

Julie is lovely, her picture reminds me of a wonderfull landlady who looked after me when I was 17, and I do try to type properly, but my spelling is not very good. I miss the Firefox browswer which had spell check.

I am not as "Coca Cola" sugary sweet as many, but I have absolutely no axe to grind. I am naturally a very funny person, ask my Mum, so assume people read that into what I say.

I still do not agree with Smiley's entirely, as nasty horrible people hide behind them, look at MMM's posts for proof of this!

:-)......

*If you don't get that, I am sorry but it is 100% a joke, and not meant to cause any offence! But I do make a fair point, some people say horrible things to be horrible and then put some smileys, if I said to some one, you're a big Fat hairy idiot, oh L O L, I would still get a smack in the face, to me it's the same.

Millymollymandy

boboff wrote: you're a big Fat hairy idiot, oh L O L
Don't tempt me! :lol: <------ look that means it's a joke.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

boboff

bedum tish!

JulieSherris

boboff wrote: ...snip... Julie is lovely, her picture reminds me of a wonderfull landlady who looked after me when I was 17, ...snip...
Only if you meant a pub landlady, & you were in the Marines & based in Deal in the early '90's!!
'My Boys' & I enjoyed 5 years in 3 different pubs around Deal, Kent - finishing up in a large place just for them, but then, sadly, BE day came & ruined it all :(

boboff

Well, it was a Pub Landlady actually, and she left her huband for a Service Man, but it was not in Deal, but Somerset, it was 89 to 91 though!
Whats BE day?