Dyslexia

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
QuakerBear
A selfsufficientish Regular

Before you buy any coloured paper or filters etc. spend some time testing differnet colours with your child. I'm dyslexic, apparently, and yellow writing or yellow pages give me huge problems but writing on blue pages is the clearest it can be.
QuakerBear

baldowrie

yes my son said the same and red was a nightmare!

Silver Ether

I have found that the lad I work with works best with blue ... but colours dont help his sister. She is 10 and I think that she has deveoped a way of turning everything round in her mind ... she reads everything from left to right in he own mind but says out loud what she understands to be the way the rest of us expect it to be ... very clever really.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

pink works best for me, yellows are the worst.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

chadspad

Ive read this thread as im looking for answers about my son. He is nearly 7. He has this complete aversion to copying writing. He had lines to do from school over the weekend, 3 lines took him 2 hours!! His head is in the clouds half the time but even with threats of no TV and me telling him off he still got no faster unless I sat with him. Everything else he does is fine - his reading is excellent, maths is great, none of the tell-tale signs of dyslexia are relevant to him but this one thing is really getting to me and his teacher. I dont understand why he cant do it when he has the paper with the words in front of him! Have seen the Speed Up books on Amazon - are they worth getting? The only writing he does at school is joined up fancy writing, theyre very strict on that. He does spelling fine and does like to write just not when its copying!
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

baldowrie

at aged 7 I doubt that he is deliberately not writing, therefore I would hazard to guess there is an underlaying problem. Hands hurt, ASD, or a mixture or non at all just not ready.

Punishment is not working, nor would I expect it to. Encouragement works better :mrgreen:

I would go to your GP and have a chat.

baldowrie

Should add a simple writing slope can help

chadspad

Yes will try the slope, saw that earlier in the thread. Punishment was done out of pure frustration, I do encourage where possible but I just couldnt understand what the problem was with copying something. Hes never mentioned hands hurting and has no problem with writing other bits of homework etc - hes just not doing this copying writing business. Thanks for the advice.
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/