kids with depression?

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
Still the Luvpies
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

kids with depression?

edited and removed

i am not to blame for my sons depression, as some of those on here know that there have been long running issues with abuse being suffered by our sons at the hands of their biological father, i asked for advice not a mental health assessment questionare, sorry if that sounds harsh to following poster but I wasnt saying i cared about the shit the kids were fed, i was looking for ideas as to food that might help boost my sons mood whilst he is with us and the most recent case of abuse which he has suffered is investigated.

I will continue to support our son, by telling him that i'm sure dad didnt mean to do the things he did
Last edited by Still the Luvpies on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: kids with depression?

First and foremost I am replying to your post because I feel so bad for you and your son. I have never been a parent so cannot fully understand how troubled you must be.
If I could though ask a personal question ? then explain why.
Have you suffered from depression? I ask this because my understanding is with animals and if we have an anxious mother then she will usually have anxious offspring. Just pursuing this line if there is nothing you can do about him going back to his dad you could try to pretend that you are not worried so much about the s****e he is feeding him.
No you cannot change how you feel but you may inadvertently be adding to your sons worries. I know this is harsh but if he loves his Dad then any criticism of his Dad would be upsetting for your son.
I would not suggest that you try to ignore the bad food issue just lighten it up a bit with added comments like, good job you' have good features, and so the zits wont matter (ha ha)
I do work with troubled youngsters and the one thing that is the same for all of then is that they may criticise their family but we must never actually join in, merely acquiesce.
good luck and I hope your son soon feels better about his life.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

dustydave
Tom Good
Tom Good

Sounds like you are doing a grand job!

I should think that any food types that have a slow energy release, that don’t add to the downs once they have been quickly burnt up – so whole grains, proteins (lentils, oily fish is great) rather than quick release (white fluffy) carbs. bit of dark chocolate – cheers me up! Oh and bannanas are supposed to be good, I’ve always found that any food that is cooked specifically for someone can help to confirm your affection for them.

Good luck!

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

St John's Wort (hypericum perforatum) is supposed to be good for depression and can be readily made into 'tea'.

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Dark chocolate is supposed to be good, as has been suggested. I think that low GI "comfort foods" - so pasta, hearty stews with dumplings, baked spuds, that sort of thing - might be helpful. There's been a little research done suggesting that limiting high sugar foods can improve behaviour in young people - not that I am suggesting there is a behaviour issue, but it might do the same for boosting morale, as it were.

Good luck!

Still the Luvpies
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

thank you, st johns wort cant be used as his dad will not allow him any medication, even that prescribed by a gp, and i dont want him to have to go down the route of hiding things from dad as and when he does have contact with him in the future if you see what i mean.

after we have got the little ones to bed we intend to eat chocolate and watch rubbish tv, we shall make sure it is dark

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

Not sure I'd class St John's Wort as 'medication'. It's just a plant or generally it comes in regular tea bags, just like other herbal teas. I'm sure his dad wouldn't mind him drinking some herbal tea, would he?

Still the Luvpies
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

he also wont give time of day to that hippy**** the man is very closed to anything that is not his doing unfortunately, which is why i was thinking along the lines of feel good foods that my son would like that he could then ask for in packed lunches or for brekkie sort of thing.

He is currently curled up watching starwars having had a big bowl of porridge with dark chocolate melted into it

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Some time ago I was recommended yellow foods for depression, especially at this time of year. It sounds a bit nuts, and the person doing the recommending was a homeopath, so it probably wasn't based on any tested theory. On the other hand, recently I've been suffering from seasonal depression and found myself craving bananas and apricots. Hard to tell whether the improvement in mood was due to the fruit, but I think there might be something in it. Could be worth a try, perhaps. They're certainly easy to add to the diet without it being obvious.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

thesunflowergal

Babe, I didn't read this post until after you deleted part of it. You and Mr LP are fantastic parents, who are loving, caring and extremely nurturing don't let anyone make you feel otherwise.
Lots of love to you and the LP tribe xxxx
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/