Boys with sore bottoms, what could i use in their bath?

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Boys with sore bottoms, what could i use in their bath?

We currently have a problem pooing in the luvpie household with both dylan and george having been constipated one through a fear of the toilet and one due to medicine, so currently both boys are on lactulose but our big problem comes from them having got anal fissures (?sp) now with dylan this isn't too much of a problem but george is everso sore so much so that we have to hold him down to get him clean and put cream on him.
last night i used some chamomile in his bath but is there anything else i could be putting in it to try and help him clear this up and feel more comfortable??
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

thesunflowergal
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Boys with sore bottoms, what could i use in their bath?

Oh hun, hugs to the boys.

Have you heard of Medihoney? That works wonders with that sort of thing. They use it in the SCBU here, when the babies are really bad. But it works on most other things too.

xxx
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks honey, off to google that. Dylan isn't too bad as he is too little to fight, but george is a right state, got some cream from doc but he runs and hides when he sees anyone with a pot of cream or a wipe :(
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

If you've got an empty dropper bottle I'd mix a few drops of lavender and chamomile then you can just use 1 or 2 drops of the blend(no more). Honey of any sort is great, manuka particularly, and you can use a spoonful of that to mix your oils in and they'll disperse properly in the bath instead of floating.

:hugish: to the sore bottom boys (great band name! :lol: )
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thank you maggie honey is now on the shopping list ;)

i am ignoring your band suggestion there is already enough noise in this house without a band!!

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

What a shame :( Must be rotten having them screaming when you're just trying to help.

I am a big fan of salt baths for healing ie sea salt in the bath but don't know much about small children so don't know if salt baths are ok for the little ones :dontknow:

Jill

sortanormalish
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 85.0
longitude: 35.0

My little premie (he's taller than me now!) had the same problem from birth and still does. I picked up some witch hazel water and daubed that on with cotton balls when he was small (dr reccomended). Now he uses the wipes that you can get at the pharmacy. I think the wipes are actualy for hemmoroids, but they work the same way. Very cooling and soothing. There are also witch hazel creams, but he says it feels better to clean with the wipes than regular tissue. He said regular baby wipes burn like the dickens. Well, he actually said...
"You are a strange little mouse."
"Thank you." -Tale of Despereaux

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, we tried everything, but it's not got any better so at the start of this week he was started on steroid and antifungal cream, but just had a call from the doctor who also took swabs and the little fellas little fella is growing various nasty bugs so off to get antibiotics this morning. So i can spend my afternoon pinning him down to get his cream on and the medicine in.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry - should have said not to use honey if there was any chance of a fungal infection. I'm sure the antibiotics will work wonders, plenty of fluids, and they'll be right as rain in no time. You can still use the oils in their bath, it'll help soothe still while they're sore.
:hugish: :hugish:
Maggie

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Don't be daft maggie, the cream is now out the window anyway, georges swab showed up staphylococcus (?) and strep a, the sore bottom had spread to his willy and over the weekend his skin had started to break down, so it became clear that there was a bit more than just getting sore, luckily dylan has improved just with his baths and not being constipated anymore.

feeling a bit of a bad mum as i'd left it so long, and i'm a nurse for god sake i should have spotted that it was more than it first looked. But never mind he is on the mend, although hates his medicine so is getting lots of chocolate :D

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mr and Mrs luvpie wrote:feeling a bit of a bad mum as i'd left it so long, and i'm a nurse for god sake
You won't be the first - I too have that t-shirt :oops: :lol: . But it's not true honey, you know that :hugish:
Maggie

theabsinthefairy

Poor lads.

While there is so much happening and so many different creams and medicines on the go, have you considered not wiping at all, but bathing their bottoms with some sea salt water after a poo. Leave the wiping until things are on the mend?
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I was just using water and washable wipes with them, now have been using a plain unscented brand but have also gone to disposables for the time being rather than having to keep boil washing georges night Nappy. Just till he clears up completely. Anyway the steroid cream is working wonders and only got another 6 days of his medicine, thankfully as i had to chase him round the garden to catch him to have it earlier, which he thought was very funny. We've not been able to have a soak tonight because of the older boys clubs, so looking forward to getting the two of them properly clean tomorrow, poor old george today was very smelly which is really unlike him.

now just got to face my mother who has been saying i know i worry too much but do you think a doctor should look at his bum for the part couple of weeks, i do hate it when i have to admit that my mother does still know best :D :D

sortanormalish
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 85.0
longitude: 35.0

So glad they are doing better. I know the feeling about mothers.

Don't blame yourself, if it hadn't been so long and you trying so much, the doctor probably wouldn't have seen it as more than diaper rash either. Then no swabs, no creams, no antibiotics, etc.
"You are a strange little mouse."
"Thank you." -Tale of Despereaux