Bathing babies - how do you?

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
Fizzy Izzy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Bathing babies - how do you?

He mostly comes in with me. It's so easy and it works well even when he was tiny. He can breastfeed in there too if he gets hungry! Then DH takes him and I top up with hot water and have a soak :iconbiggrin: He likes the baby bath too especially now he's happy sitting up (with me holding him) - he has fun splashing and trying to grab his rubber duck and put it it his mouth...
Smile :)

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

I used to carry mine into the shower with me. They loved it. I'd recommend a good non-slip mat though 'cos it does shift your centre of gravity up a bit and you have to be prepared to be widdled on and sometimes worse :shock:

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Well the viking method could help (throw in the river)

since my boys ar water babies anywhere will do
bath tub.JPG
bath tub.JPG (20.89 KiB) Viewed 4646 times
there current favourite is the shower
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hello. When M was really wee (not that he was ever *that* wee, being 10lbs 4oz at birth) we put the baby bath in the shower, put a couple of inches of water in that and supported his shoulders with one arm. Pretty soon we started plonking him in the big bath, which he loves. He's now almost 11 months and this evening tried to dive head-first over the side :?
Raising four from 1 to 17 in ruralmost Herefordshire: http://39again.wordpress.opensure.net/

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:I used to carry mine into the shower with me. They loved it. I'd recommend a good non-slip mat though 'cos it does shift your centre of gravity up a bit and you have to be prepared to be widdled on and sometimes worse :shock:
soph's only just got to the point where she's willing to go in the shower with me, she's 4 in feb lol!!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

mrsmiggins
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thank you for all the tips everyone! I love the photos!! :iconbiggrin:

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

mrsflibble wrote:
The Riff-Raff Element wrote:I used to carry mine into the shower with me. They loved it. I'd recommend a good non-slip mat though 'cos it does shift your centre of gravity up a bit and you have to be prepared to be widdled on and sometimes worse :shock:
soph's only just got to the point where she's willing to go in the shower with me, she's 4 in feb lol!!!
I was like that. I still hate splashing my face with water. Some of us are just difficult :lol:
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

citizentwiglet

Second hand baby-bath for us. As they get older, it gets plonked in the big bath (apparently helps them to get used to seeing the sides of the big bath, which can be a bit scary when you can't see much over the top of them). Baby bath doubles up nicely as thing to plonk dirty, then clean, washing in, too. Obviously, as Ellis is 3 he has progressed to the big bath, Fin (1...yes, already) is still in big-bath-little-bath mode because he is a bit of a nutter and just likes hurling himself around.

To be honest, bathing baby was the most terrifying thing. I have never done it on my own - I was petrified that I'd drop him, smash his head in. I always waited until the better half got home to help me. Just one of the fears I couldn't get over, I guess.

We don't have a shower in our house - if you have one, use it, I reckon. Both of mine HATE showers, which is very annoying when you are camping and there are only showers on site. Had I got them under the shower at an early age, I'm sure they'd be fine.
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

grubbysoles
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I bring Bubs in the bath with me. I have a useless back and it just can't cope with leaning over the side of the bath trying to hold on to a slippery baby, and I foolishly gave my baby bathtub away. Bringing her in the bath is much easier, but my 3 year old then inevitably also wants to get in with us, so it gets quite crowded in there!

Biggest tip is to have everything laid out and ready for when you get out, so that you don't freeze to death fumbling around for towels/talc/dressing gowns, etc. I have a towel ready on the floor just outside the bathroom - wrap the baby in that which keeps her warm while I get the toddler out and wrap her up. Then we relocate to the lounge where I have more towels and snuggly things ready for them. I always seem to forget to have a towel ready for me though, so I'm the one who has to shiver and drip everywhere :roll:

I would also agree that it is infinitely easier to wait until the man of the house is home to help unload everyone from the tub. Fiddly business trying to get your balance just right when the baby is getting heavy and everyone is soaking wet and slippery.

carolinew
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

contadina wrote:Some friends bought what looks like an opaque bucket for their newborn. Apparently it's meant to feel like being in the womb to baby. It probably cost a fortune but was no different from a bucket.
We had one of these with our first - it's called a Tummy Tub, and we picked it up cheaply in a sale (not that it's particularly expensive usually). It was absolutely fantastic. It used very little water, our daughter LOVED it, and it was soooo easy to bath her in - you only need a finger under the chin to support her as she's basically in a good position already. Once she could support her own head, we didn't need to hold her at all.

Quite a number of years and a country change later, we're expecting another baby in a few weeks. We no longer have our tummy tub, so I considered whether to just use the sink, or use a bucket. But decided no, my experience with the tummy tub was so very good I'd get another one. Although they look like a bucket they're non slip and incredibly stable (which a bucket isn't), have no sharp edges and are shaped to help the baby stay in the right position. Having said that, I'm sure that a bucket would do! It just wouldn't be quite so easy. Anyway, I bought another 2nd hand off ebay for £3.

Can't recommend them highly enough. They really save water, are easy to use, and our baby was just so happy when she was in it. We used to use it when she had colic, too, as it comforted her and seemed to sort the colic out (don't know why - position? Being relaxed?)

Once she was no longer a newborn we quite often took her in the bath or shower with us - but still used the tummy tub in addition.

Having said all of that, just go with whatever's convenient for you. They all work - I just loved how economical it was with the water, its ease of use, and how much our baby enjoyed it.

All the best with your new family member :thumbright:

thesunflowergal

Last week I bathed my little man for the first time, I held him in the big bath with his two sisters. I will save this for when he is a little older as it was a bit too caotic, but to his credit he did not complain!! I will be using the baby bath placed on the toilet, as a sort of stand.
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/