Advice for a poorly baby please!

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Advice for a poorly baby please!

Right DD2 who is just over ten months has had a chest infection and tonnes of mucus as a result. for the last two days she has been unable to keep down meals and breastfeeds. The doc says shes not dehydrated so shes okay, but keep putting it in even if it does come out again.

She managed to keep two breastfeeds from last night plus about 4 ounces of water down, and shes just had about one and a half breadsticks (she cries whenever I show her the porridge!) but she is KNACKERED the poor little love had a nappy explosion when she last woke up, and as I washed and changed her she just lay there looking at me and then eventually closed her eyes from the effort of it all.

I'm not unduly worried about her as she has good colour and nothing else is wrong apart from the fact that she is sooo wacked she almost can't eat.

Right the point is can anyone recommend something that a LO would want to eat and would be of real benefit to help her feel a bit brighter - something gentle on the tum?

The breadsticks are showing no signs of coming up again, and she has just flopped onto my chest and is having a snooze from the effort of it all! I've never know her subdued like this, she is the happiest little thing I have ever known, I feel a bit helpless although I realise the power of a cuddle works wonders!

So I'm calling on all you ish oracle parenting wonders to offer me up a bit of wisdom as i always feel better when I am doing something!

Lorna x

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Advice for a poorly baby please!

ground rice and/or ground oats made into porridge? you could do it with breastmilk or water, but I wouldn't advise any dairy as it would make her more mucusy - unfortunately wheat doesn't help in that respect either, so if you can replace the breadsticks so much the better.

Hope she feels better soon, at least she is getting some rest which is probably the best thing. :hugish:
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Clara wrote: - unfortunately wheat doesn't help in that respect either, so if you can replace the breadsticks so much the better.
As a Coeliac I'm well aware of the wheat issue, So I probably should have said that they were my rice, potato and tapioca flour breadsticks! (DD1 is waiting for diagnosis and I think that DD2 isn't showing any obvious signs) I'm just glad she's got something in her tum. She seems to be mucus free all the time she isn't eating or drinking. I wonder if her body is just a bit too overstimulated and is producing excess fluids as it is antcipating another bout of vomiting? Well shes still snoozing and bundled in a warm blanket (our house is cold this morning) I'm just lucky that last nights wakings, have meant that the eldest is tired and easy to placate this morning!

Lorna x

becks77

Hi,
Sorry to hear she's unwell, would anything with a small amout of honey help? a bit of natural oomph and the antibiotic qualities might help too.
Hope she's on the mend soon
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Clara

becks77 wrote:Hi,
Sorry to hear she's unwell, would anything with a small amout of honey help? a bit of natural oomph and the antibiotic qualities might help too.
Hope she's on the mend soon
sounds like a good idea.....wonder how long before someone says that she will for sure get botulism if you give her honey anytime before her first birthday :roll:
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Could spread a little on her toast at lunchtime maybe - she's still snoozing atm, she obviousley needs it. It's so hard when they're little. I had totally taken forgranted that the eldest can tell me whats up it's amazing how lazy you get when they can communicate for themselves!

Lorna x

The Riff-Raff Element

Mashed bannana. Cures everything (except botulism caused by inappropriate use of honey :mrgreen: ) : reasonable amount of carbohydrate, gentle on the tum and a fair bit of soluble fibre to ease her digestion. Stewed apple also.

red

aww poor thing - hope she is better soon - b et you are knackered too.

I would go with sweet drinks.. dont worry about sugar etc for now, she needs the energy
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Great

Now the three year olds at it! :roll:

If you need me, I'll be cleaning up the vomit - oh the joys of children.

(at least it means I don't have to finish the rapunzel costume for world book day on thursday! :lol: Although I may do it anyway with the Tallest if she wants to dress up.)

Lorna x

becks77

Oh blimey hope things pick up soon
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Is she vomiting because she's coughing up the mucus and then swallowing it?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

evelyn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

OOO poor little people, so long as you keep them hidrated they will be fine it will do no harm for the little ones not to eat for a day, and resting there tummys is probobly the best thing for them at the moment.

When my girls were little and were poorly i always gave them scrambled egg, nice and gentle on tummys, when they got older chicken soup became the fix all, now my oldist who is almost 20 dose very well on curry, odd i know but if it works it works.

I hope your little people feel better very soon.

Take care all of you.

Eve

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

So, the seatees on its second throw.

The girls have had three or four changes of clothes

Towels towels and more towels

car seat, car and school uniform - including the shoes! (it ran inside so I bunged em in the washer too! :lol: ) I'm just glad we couldn't walk as usual or I would have really been in a fix! Can you imagine trying to get a three year old covered in sick to walk a mile home in the drizzle :shock: !

Kitchen cleaned, bathroom cleaned and just one more load, of 'normal laundry to get in! My poor ol' hands need a bit of tlc after all that washing. My house is groaning from all the laundry too!

But they are both asleep (on towels :lol: ) Tallest on an empty tummy as she can't even keep water down, and Smallest on a few ounces of rice and oats. I found an incredibly useful tip about spoon feeding water and other liquids to stop LO from gulping and triggering the gag reflex and it works a treat. Slow but thats no worry it works and shes managed to keep down something at last which is great!

I just hope tonight is quiter than last night (every two hours) but by getting it all cleaned down and square while they're asleep at least I have only got them to worry about in the morning. :coffee:

Lorna x

shell
Living the good life
Living the good life

i wouldnt give milk,but plenty of drinks,perhaps warm blackcurrent,honey drink,light food,scrambled egg,instant porridge,apple puree,bannana puree,just a spoonful or so,but she may be getting rids of phlem while vomiting so may be a good thing,my g/d has a chesty cough but is getting rid of her phlem by throwing back up some of her drink,so sorry your little ones are poorly,hope it clears soon :hugish:

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Smallest had a good night, but Tallest was retching every twenty minutes or so throughout the whole night. Shes had diarrheoa this morning and can't keep anything down.

She going to the docs to check her hydration as shes had virtually no fluids for 24 hours now, not for the want of trying tho.

exits to tame an ever growing pile of laundry....