2nd hand xmas

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
rebenny
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

2nd hand xmas

Hi all, don;t kill me for posting this, I know it's sooo early but I've been thinking about christmas pressies last night and it occurred to me that I never thought of getting 2nd hand things, i.e. doing all my christmas present shopping in charity shops and car boot sales.#Does anyone else do this? I don;t know what my friends and family would think, I imagine some of them would not mind at all, if it was something appropriate, but I'd say it would be a bit odd to others if it wasn't new and shiny and in a box.
The fact that it never occurred to me before shows how brain washed I am too by this commercial culture. Although I'd prefer to make all my own stuff, always do the cards for example, I just don't have the time this year what with the baby and all.
What does everyone else think to this? What was your best/ most frugal xmas pressie? interrested to hear!
love rebenny

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2nd hand xmas

I would only give to people stuff that can be cleaned up nicely - A bucket of duplo or lego (which can be sterilised, if need be, and doesn't date) For example. or some classic brio or Pintoy wooden toys (again that can be scrubbed clean and don't date.

I was given a second hand kids book as a new baby present, we like the book now (2 years later) but am sorry to say at the time I thought it was rude and scabby... I would have rather not had anything. It was an inappropriate and cheap 'gift'.
If you are giving just for the sake of giving I would say rather give your time, or some home made food or something similar.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

I agree with giving things that are in good condition, but then I'm sure you would anyway. Giving second hand stuff doesn't bother me at all, partly because I don't think it's always obvious. For instance I recently gave an aunt of mine for her birthday a little photo frame I'd found for 79p in Oxfam. It was exquisite and I printed a photo of her with my daughter at our wedding, put the whole lot together (so what did that cost me? £1-odd with postage?) and she was thrilled with it. I doubt it occurred to her whether the frame was old or new. On the other hand I looked at a science kit in the charity shop yesterday, with a view to DD, but the contents were very worn and I decided to leave it. Ditto a large lilac fleecey blanket with a fairy on it - too bobbly and a couple of dubious marks. Condition is all I think!
Raising four from 1 to 17 in ruralmost Herefordshire: http://39again.wordpress.opensure.net/

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've done it for years. One of my favorites was a lovely, wood carving of a roadrunner. When we lived in Arizona, we used to see them running about. They are beautiful birds. I found this little carving at a church thrift shop and gave it to my father. It means a lot to him. When he asked me where I found it, I told him.

I find most people, over time, accept that being frugal is commendable. There are very few who think that something is worth more because you spent more. That point of view is a result of decades of advertising.

MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

LBR wrote:There are very few who think that something is worth more because you spent more.
That's so true. By Boxing Day children will forget half of what they were given no matter how much it cost, but they'll remember much more about the family traditions and other things you get up to over the festive season. For birthdays in our family we do a 'birthday breakfast' which consists of all the things we don't usually buy and is a lovely long affair, and that figures as highly as a birthday treat or a present!
Raising four from 1 to 17 in ruralmost Herefordshire: http://39again.wordpress.opensure.net/

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

Another "go ahead" here. It's the sort of thing my friends do anyway, that or make something themselves. My DD has had some beautiful unique and imaginative gifts this way.

And for yourself too, having a good rummage for second hand treasure has got to be far more enjoyable than joining the scrum in some busy suffocating mall.

I only wish I had more opportunity to do that, sadly secondhand stores are thin on the ground here. I'm starting to get into the habit of squirreling away stuff when I get the opportunity, knowing that there will always be someone who will be delighted with it. Recently I gave away a norwegian wool balaclava and a pair of alaskan workboots to two very happy outdoor working friends - when I bought them I had no one in mind, I just knew that they were good things in themselves.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Shirley

Definitely... go for it. Obviously if it's second hand and falling apart then you wouldn't buy it anyway, whether it was for yourself or for a gift. (there are some exceptions for this rule obviously)
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

It's not quite the same thing but I've often given away presents that I've been given (so in a sense they are second hand). If it's not something that I would use but I know someone who I think would appreciate it then I'll happily pass it on at the next opportunity. I just have to remember who gave me what so that I don't give it back to them by accident.

Zoe

ina

And make sure you don't pass on something that has a personal message in it... I was once given a diary that had a personal note on its first page to the person I was getting it from. I didn't mind being given something second hand - but I was most disappointed that that woman hadn't even looked at her present before she gave it away again! :roll: It can also be rather embarrassing to read something personal like that... :oops:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Silver Ether

I suspect on at least two occasions being given "nearly new" goodies by my son... I didn't feel let down by it at least they were things I liked and he had spent something more impotent to me than cash ... his time... :flower: I pass on unwanted goods too ... why folks by the stuff they do is sometimes beyond me. :roll:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

invisiblepiper

Agree lots! Quality is important - and I wouldn't pass on tat - but as Thomzo says, sometimes we are given gifts which would be really loved by another person, so pass them on!
I really like the idea of getting a second hand item and giving it 'added value' by putting a more thought into it - as mrs D'ville has. Wee boxes from charity shops - with a little something inside. Second hand jewellery is considered 'vintage' too. :mrgreen:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

I find car boot sales great for gifts,I got a lovely pink bag with kittens on for my 6 year old with the tag still on for 50p she'll love it and it is like new.I also have both my girls birthdays just before and just after christmas(not planned very well)21st dec & 21st Jan so I just got some little wooden braclets and necklaces for 10p each from the bootsale for the party bags.I am always on the lookout for peoples unwanted gifts at bootsales you get them for £1 sometimes and no-one has complained yet.I do agree it has to look new or you may aswell not bother just send a nicely homemade card or biscuits or jam.
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

i managed to find aun unopened, obviously unused cos it had not been opened cast iron skillet, brush and glove set. i think it's going to my SFIL for yule.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

carolinej
Tom Good
Tom Good

My 18 year old son has asked for a second hand christmas this year.

2 years ago, we go him a didgeridoo from freecycle and an old fashioned wind up gramophone from ebay. They were his favourite presents.

Its much more fun trying to find things in car boot sales and charity shops, rather than go for the pre thought of gifts for sale in the shops.

I dont mind at all getting second hand pressies. Hubby loves old wooden boxes, so I have no choice but to go for second hand there.

Second hand glass can be really pretty and cheap. Wool sometimes comes up in charity shops, and I use that to make presants.

cj :sunny:

howie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I recently asked my 20-year old daughter if she could remember what her favourite Christmas present had been, and she told me that it was a box of books. It happened to be a year when we were utterly skint, we had no TV and most of the presents for rest of family were home-made.

We got a big cardboard box, filled it with books bought from jumble sales, charity shops, library discontinued etc (she was into Nancy Drew and stuff like that), put in lots of sweets, home-made toffee and fudge and wrapped it up. It cost about £8 in total but she remembers it more than anything else over the years and has asked if we will do it again this year!

We have recently been thinking about what to get our boys for Christmas (age 11 and 13). We have decided to do them a book of 'vouchers' - however these will be home-made vouchers, for example, 'a fishing trip', 'a camping sleepover in the garden with friends', 'your favourite 3-course meal' (cooked by me!)

They can all be things that cost very little, but involve spending quality time, because let's face it, that's what children want rather than Playstations, and the child can 'cash in' the voucher whenever they fancy a particular treat.
Psychological tale of love, music and self-sufficiency: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-is-the-Co ... 123&sr=1-1