101 uses for a pair of old tights/stockings

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
penny
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: 101 uses for a pair of old tights/stockings

cut up into small squares and store in small recycled box and use in place of cotton wool pads to take off nail varnish.

lazyspice
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I can never get the knots undone in those little muslin bags that come with my soap nuts so I cut a short length off an old stocking leg (a bit with no ladders or holes!) and tie them in that instead.

lazyspice
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I couldn't find a scrunchie to put my hair up so I cut the ribbed bit off a laddered knee high - perfect for the job :mrgreen:

Apologies if someone has already posted something along similar lines . . . .

tizzy
Tom Good
Tom Good

We have a hen with an injured wing. I made a body stocking with the shorts part of a pair of tights with holes cut for the other wing and to fully expose her vent. It's been on four days now and hasn't budged. she seems quite happy in it.
hen in tights 2.jpg
hen in tights 2.jpg (217.5 KiB) Viewed 6369 times

sortanormalish
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 85.0
longitude: 35.0

If you grow your melons on a trellis you can slip a length with a toe or knot over the bottom of the developing fruit and attach the open end to the trellis, leave extra stocking for the fruit to grow. It will expand as the melon grows and support the weight so that the vine doesn't get pinched. Works well for small pumpkins and winter squash too. They don't rot on the bottom like they do on the ground or trellis shelves either.
"You are a strange little mouse."
"Thank you." -Tale of Despereaux

naomij
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 51
longitude: 1

bunch some carded wool up into a ball shape. Wind some more around it really tightly, a good couple of layers. Get some coloured scraps of carded or knitting wool and wind them around in a pretty pattern. Make it big enough that the leg of the tights has to stretch pretty well to get over it. Shove the ball right in, twist the leg and pull it back over the ball again. Stick into your next washing machine cycle, then remove from the tight leg and you will have a beautifully felted, round, pretty, colourful ball for you children/pets/husband to play with. If you stick it in again after removing from tight leg then it will felt just that wee bit more and be nice and firm and smooth :sunny: I love doing this!

manyhands
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi, reviving a thread.

I use old tights etc to sieve old paint they are brilliant for this. we also use other clothing plus thick opaque tights for polishing. it’s cheaper to re-use than buy in rags. If anyone is interetsed please pm me i will gladly take all unwanted stuff and pay a little if i must, as they are alot cheaper than the products made for this. Try and make use out of most old things lol.

Email address removed by admin.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Hi manyhands. Welcome to Ish. This is a very old thread - why not go to our welcome section where others will say hello. I removed your email address btw to be on the safe side.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

manyhands
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi Aura and thanks!

If anyone is interetsed i'm still around lol, check every couple of days thx!

marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I filled a leg with 10mm shingle and planted it down the centre of a strawberry pot to make sure that water gets to all the plants.

A leg tied over the end of the downpipe stops debris from the gutter getting into the water butt.

Has any one already said fill a leg with sheep manure and dangle it your water butt?

And put some ends of soap in one tied to the outside tap so you can wash your muddy hands
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

used to cut up and use for stuffing soft toys i made as a kid
roll up and put in bra for extra cleavage hehe
Darn that Wabbit