101 uses for grass

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

101 uses for grass

The thread in one of the other sections about the Canadian bye law that says the front gardens have to be 30% grass has prompted me to post this. For a long time I've wondered about the obsession with grass that prevails in many places and have always said that it is a very overated plant, we can't eat it or wear it and then to be told "KEEP OFF THE GRASS" just seems to be taking the mick to me.
So 101 uses please,
I'll start with the obvious
1, animal feed
2, mulch
3,lying on when the sun is shinning and the birds are singing
4, it keeps an army of gardeners employed just to mow the stuff (actually I shouldn't moan about that really as it does bring me a few quid)

Pete
Last edited by Skippy on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: 101 uses for grass

Hi - yes I agree, why do we have it.

5. To play football on
6. To cut as bedding for chickens
7. As a support system for moss which is actually a much better chicken bedding and can be used to line hanging baskets.
8. Grow it around apple trees so that you can see/collect the windfalls.
9. To grow meadow flowers in.

Cheers
Zoe

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

10. Good compost activator, especially if you have added a lot of browns
11. Useful for increasing the amount of bulk in the compost heap
12. An excuse not to go to a boring social do, would love to come etc, but I really should mow the grass

When I had a house in the town, I kept gradually increasing the flower beds and vegetable areas and decreasing the grass area, really resented mowing the grass when I could be doing better things, now I have 3 acres of grass but I bought a lawn tractor to keep it under control which is quite good fun, I let an acre or so grow to make hay for the alpacas so it is kind of useful for them

EcoSam
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

You can eat grass in the form of leaf curd :)

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

13. is ecosam's (must look into that leaf curd thing as times is hard here in greece !)
14. grass is ground cover to keep down invasive annuals that just seed everywhere and take over your veg areas.
15. fresh mown grass smells great.
16. it's what you seed if you can't think of what else to seed

boboff

17. To provide a means of stabalising sandy soil, and prevent erosion from ruining your property.
18. When it's right, it looks nice.
19. Provide a soft, safe and dry area to sit and enjoy the company of friends, and family, if they know where you live.
20.Let cows eat it, pull there nipples and get a liquid which sustains the population.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/