101 Uses for Excess Eggs

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
MuddyWitch
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Re: 101 Uses for Excess Eggs

41) Use egg white as temporary hair 'spay' As I refused to buy the nasty stuff, & DD2 was in a ballet class run by Attila the Hun, who insisted her fringe was lacqued back, our friend suggested this. It worked a treat.

BTW 1 egg per week per dog is what all my hounds have had. The prison dogs that I puppy walked were given one each every week too, and the odd one as a treat more than that. So long as you don't feed a small terrier half a dozen at a time there will be no problems, assuming your dog isn't allergic or suffering an ailment that eggs could make worse etc.

Most wild dogs, such as wolves & foxes will activly seek out eggs so it is quite a natural part of these omnivours' diets.

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Millymollymandy

Good to know that MW :thumbright: (about dogs I mean, not so much the hair spray! :iconbiggrin: )
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

a particularly good sunday morning breakfast that i have here:

Fanqie Chou Da (tomato fried egg):

4 eggs
4 large tomatoes
1 Spring onion

Beat the eggs, add a little salt and then fry them, stirring all the time (fried scrambled eggs).
Chop the spring onion finely.
CRemove the eggs from the heat.
In a separate pan, fry the tomatoes in a little oil with a little water (fry them off first to prevent fires!!).
When they've gone soft and mushy and liquidy, add the eggs and the onion.
Fry for a few minutes so that it all goes tomatoey and smushy.

You should have large-ish pieces of egg, and smushy tomatoes.
Eat!

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

the.fee.fairy wrote:a particularly good sunday morning breakfast that i have here:

Fanqie Chou Da (tomato fried egg):

4 eggs
4 large tomatoes
1 Spring onion

Beat the eggs, add a little salt and then fry them, stirring all the time (fried scrambled eggs).
Chop the spring onion finely.
CRemove the eggs from the heat.
In a separate pan, fry the tomatoes in a little oil with a little water (fry them off first to prevent fires!!).
When they've gone soft and mushy and liquidy, add the eggs and the onion.
Fry for a few minutes so that it all goes tomatoey and smushy.

You should have large-ish pieces of egg, and smushy tomatoes.
Eat!
I just had breakfast, but I could start all over again!!!! :wink: :iconbiggrin:

Birdie Wife
Tom Good
Tom Good

43. Make pasta! It uses a surprising number of eggs, is quick and simple and can be used in so many different ways. Especially if you use eggs in the sauce as well, such as...
44. Spaghetti carbonara for 2: cook the spaghetti. In the meantime, fry bacon lardons or strips of bacon in a separate pan. While that's cooking, put 1 egg, a small handful of parmesan and a splosh of double cream (or I use low fat cream cheese) and salt and pepper in a bowl and beat until blended. When the spaghetti and bacon are cooked, drain the pasta and chuck everything into a large bowl and mix really well. The heat of the pasta gently cooks the egg mixture. Easy and quick supper for two!
45. Hard boil, mince using a mincing machine (shells and all) and use as a feed for newly hatched chicks. Makes a good alternative to chick crumbs if you raise your own hens.

osmunda
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I've frozen eggs in the past and then used them for cake making. Just break fresh eggs into a jug, beat them up to break the yolks and pour into plastic bottles. Make sure you don't fill right to the top, and leave the tops slightly unscrewed until they are frozen (make sure the bottles are wedged upright until frozen). Write on the outside how many eggs are in each bottle and you can defrost them and use for cake making. I didn't see much difference in cakes made with fresh eggs or frozen.
Now I sell excess eggs at a local boot sale (duck eggs go very well). I also make cakes with them and sell the cakes as well.

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Bumping the topic as its early March and I am suffering an amazing gutt of eggs! :shock: my hens are surely spolit as all 15 of them all started coming onto lay in the last fortnight or so.

Selling to next door is one and they have a dozen or so from me a week, mum refuses to buy them as I have a cockeral running with them and yet nowt wrong with them.

I need help!

Now off to make some meringues :D

sleepyowl

Blow the innards out & decorate for an Easter/Ostara celebration

Blow the innards out & fill with something unpleasant, seal with a bit of wax & give to or throw throw at someone equally or more unpleasant
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Here's a new one for you--We plant them. We dig the planting holes about three inches too deep for our tomatoes, set an egg in, cover over with soil, then plant tomato plant as usual.

The sulphur helps with pests, and the egg is slow fertilizer for the tomato plant. The shell is calcium, which also helps the plant keep from getting end rot.

We've used this method for the past four years, and I'd definately recommend it!
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

marshlander

Found this which may be of interest to anyone thinking of preserving eggs. Not tried it - rarely get a glut.

1.Be sure to use only fresh eggs. If any decomposition occurs, you will be unsuccessful. Also exposure to extreme heat or cold will hinder your preservation process.
You can use an oil as well, but the oil can go rancid… not exactly what I would want on my eggs.

3.Store the eggs in a finely ground preservative such as salt, bran, or an equal mix of finely ground charcoal and dry bran or finely ground oats. You can also store them in finely ground plaster of Paris, but that’s not exactly something that I plan on having on hand regularly. You can store the eggs layer upon layer, so long as you they don’t touch each other, metal, or wood. Be sure you have enough finely ground preservative to pack them in. (You can feed the salt and bran to the cattle afterwards.)
4.Store the eggs small side down.
5.Store the eggs in a covered container and keep in a cool, dry place. You don’t want to store them in freezing temperatures.
6.Eggs will keep “fresh” for up to 9 months. In fact, some countries are known to have stored their eggs like this for up to 2 years.
http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com/20 ... resh-eggs/
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Ah everyone's already said my ideas! :angryfire:

Bechamel sauce uses a couple of eggs.

Make a plain omlette cut into strips and add to stir-frys.

Egg noodles/pasta

I make really nice yogurt ice cream (frozen yogurt?) with:
2 large eggs ( whisked up until pale and fluffy )
1/4 cup sugar ( added to the whisked eggs )
1 cup milk ( added to the whisked eggs/sugar )
2 cups thick Greek yogurt ( added to the whisked eggs/sugar/milk)
Couple of drops vanilla extract and a bashed up bar of chocolate of your choice added at the end, then put everything into your ice cream maker, or just into your freezer but you'll have to mix it every so often to stop it cristalizing.
I make it in the morning and its ready in the freezer by tea time for pudding :iconbiggrin:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

ktibble
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Having just scrolled through the reams of responses I can't believe I haven't seen home made scotched eggs. I often make a batch of six (requires 7 eggs) as you need one to make the coating "stick" ! - I have used duck eggs, tiny silky eggs and added all sorts to the meat covering to "spice them up". Can't wait to get quails so that I can try mini "posh" scotched eggs.

They are nothing like the supermarket tasteless dry rubbish!!

hot scotched eggs for tea, cold for lunch :)

welshmum
Tom Good
Tom Good

OK so I lost track of teh numbers but heres a few more:
- Baked eggs (yummy)
- Boiled egg salad
- Lemon/orange curd. Homes made is better than the supermarket by far!
- Devilled eggs
- Science experiment for kids. To demonstrate the acidity of vinegar soak a hard boiled egg undisturbed for 3-4 days and the vinegar will dissolve the egg shell. The boiled egg will also become rubbery and may even bounce.

Dutch Dave
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

french toast
or an alcoholic treet old Dutch and Belgian women drink/eat called advocaat. (actually pretty tasty with some wipped cream)
eggnog
Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I love advocaat, I am an old Englishwoman, have you a recipe for it Dutch Dave. My German uncle made some once I remember, and it was so gorgeous

If I ever have a glut of eggs (I can't keep up with demand from neighbours and villagers for duck and chicken eggs) I make all my christmas puddings and cakes as it doesnt really matter when you make them, they keep very well, and often around this time of year the hens are moulting again and not laying so much