I hope this is the right subform - bits of wood?

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I hope this is the right subform - bits of wood?

After starting the Hamilton brother's chook pen from recycled scrap wood, I have found myself with a lot of leftover bits since scrap wood is never sized perfectly. I now have 5 barely-less-than-a-metre bits of wood. I could return them to the scrapyard I suppose, but I'd like to do something with them. Maybe make another seedling plot? WTF could I grow in a metre? Of course that also means I need to get more boards for the base, as that'll only make up the frame.. which means I'll have MORE leftover boards.

What to do?

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I hope this is the right subform - bits of wood?

Could you just make a square frame that sits on the ground, fill with compost and grow salad stuff? or maybe use it as a seed bed?

You can grow an amazing amount of food in 1 square metre, but if you have loads of space I guess you won't think much of it.

Here we burn all our off cuts of wood to heat our home :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

ElizabethBinary
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Annpan wrote:Could you just make a square frame that sits on the ground, fill with compost and grow salad stuff? or maybe use it as a seed bed?

You can grow an amazing amount of food in 1 square metre, but if you have loads of space I guess you won't think much of it.

Here we burn all our off cuts of wood to heat our home :mrgreen:
Might do. I just built a seed bed and put the 3 sisters in it.. perhaps I can just make another bed for lettuces? Although not sure how I can start just having bed after bed in my house. It's a nice house with a decent backyard (suburbs), but it IS a rental.. don't wanna kill the grass underneathe if I can. Hrm.

spitfire
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 38.579065
longitude: -121.491014

you could make a nice little bed for a herb garden, or as annpan suggested salad stuff. :thumbright:
WHEN MY IRISH EYES ARE SMILING I'M USUALLY UP TO SOMETHING!!!
NEVER REGRET THAT WHICH ONCE MADE YOU SMILE.

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

what about making up the metre square planter and getting hold of a metre square piece of marine ply to use as a base :wave: or you could use boards and then use the rest to build a climbing frame for a vine plant or tomatoes come spring
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

benjaminlanglois
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 49.1734
longitude: -2.0861

Impregnate it with edible mushroom mycelium - that's if you haven't already used it (I'm very late to this thread!)

Benjamin Langlois madman or genius? Visit my website

Photographs on my Flickr profile
Stalk me on Twitter