Conference Pears

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Conference Pears

I've got about 50 mostly in the fridge and they are all going to ripen soon! Typical, they were all ready to come off the tree at the same time. And as I am not now going to be giving THOSE neighbours any, I need some ideas of what to do with them!

I was wondering if I could make pear crumble? I've never cooked pears before so don't really know what the texture is like or taste when cooked.

Can't do jams or chutneys because my foot is not up to that sort of thing yet. *cue jokes about foot* :lol:

I might have a go at pear clafouti but that won't use too many pears though.

Ho hum I am not going to lose the weight I've put on during my period of inactivity with my dodgy foot, but what the hell! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

cobnuts
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Pear and rhubarb crumble- sounds an unlikely combination but it's a winner. Never tried pears alone in a crumble though.

Pear tart- puff pastry, thin layer of marzipan, sliced pears on top, dust with icing sugar, bake. Dead easy, also works with apples, apricots, peaches etc.
You're going home in a combine harvester

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

1-2 pears for each person (if they are slightly under-ripe they will be fairly firm when cooked.
2 cinnamon sticks (or 1 stick and 3 cloves for a more wintery feel)... or failing that 1-2 tsps ground mixed spice.
1 vanilla pod, sliced open- or half a teaspoon of vanilla extract. please don't use essence as it's not vanilla.
a piece of lemon peel
sugar to taste- I actually used fructose as you use 1/3 less
1 75cl bottle of good quality red wine (actually, sod good quality. I used a bottle of £2.50 t*sc* own brand last time and it was fabby)
350mls water

1. heat the wine and water with the spices, vanilla, sugar and lemon peel
2. simmer until the sugar has dissolved- stir lots during this time, it helps.
3. peel the pears, leaving on the stalk, with a teaspoon, scoop out 2/3 of the center of the pear- this will remove the core.
4. place pears, stalk up, into a good sized saucepan, which will accommodate all your pears and cover them completely with the wine. mmmm boozy.
5. when the pears are ready, depending how ripe they are, leave them to cool in the liquid. test for readiness by poking with a shap knife. if they "give" easily, hthey are done.
6. remove them from the liquid
7. strain the liquid through a sieve lined with muslin - not necessary if using ground spices.
8. simmer the liquid until it has reduced and thickened - or if you are pushed for time, add 1tsp of slaked arrowroot to hot liquid (arrowroot powder mixed with water) stir in well.
9. leave to cool- if using arrowroot, dnon't let it cool as it will turn to jelly. serve it hot.
10. put the pears on a plate, pour on sauce. serve with cream, ice cream etc.

PS. Don't forget, the pears will still carry on cooking while they are cooling down.

or you can poach them in a stock syrup and cover with a simple chocolate sauce.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

red

pear crumble works... i like to make a crumble with oats and ginger in.. goes well with pears
or you can poach them in syrup (peeled quartered and cored) and then they freeze well - then you can serve them hot with syrup and icecream at a later date.
or make pear liqueur
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Thomzo

I once made ice cream using pears and elderflower champagne. I can't for the life of me remember where I found the recipe. It was delicious though. Sounds as if you have enough pears to experiment. I think they were just lightly stewed, mixed with the champagne, cream and probably some sugar. Then frozen.

Zoe
Think globally, shop locally
Check out my blog at http://designedbyzoe.blogspot.com/
http://www.thomzo.co.uk

Millymollymandy

Thanks for the ideas - I have some rhubarb in the freezer which I chuck in crumbles with other fruit so I will try that.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

don't forget, if making ice crwmas without a recipe, always put in far more sugar than you think you'll need 'cos the sweetness is lost easily upon frezing.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Millymollymandy

I made a pear clafouti which was really nice. Next I'm going to do a Quatre Quart aux Poires; normally I do this with apples but it should make a nice change. :mrgreen:

Cheezy

I used to make pear wine with our conference.

Now I make a perry type thing. And next year the trees coming down as it's too close to the house and directly over a drain, which I think is cracked.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

hmk
Tom Good
Tom Good

I had Pear and Chocolate Crumble on Saturday at a friends house that was very nice :cooldude:
It was supposed to be a particular chocolate with ginger, but she used plain and it was still yummy. You could add chopped preserved/crystalised ginger too I guess.

Hazel