Flavoured olive oil

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
DaisyDaisy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Flavoured olive oil

Back in the summer at the village fete I found 2 interesting bottles that I thought I'd fill will olive oil, a chilli, garlic & rosemary - and give them at Christmas to friends who like that sort of thing.
Sadly when I looked at them today something (white & furry) is growing around the rosemary & garlic that I didn't plan for - now, it could be the cold cure everyone is looking for, but I don't think my friends would appreciate the experiment :roll:

Any ideas how I should do it another time?
:flower: :flower:

P.S. thankfully the hyacinths that I put into the other glass containers (from the same fete) seem to be doing very well.

shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

Daisy, do you think it could be the oil that has thickened a bit? Have you kept it in a cool or cold place?

Just a thought. :cooldude:
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

DaisyDaisy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hmm - thanks Shiney for the idea but I don't think so - it looks too fluffy for that.

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Garlic is notorious for doing that. It harbours nasties like there's no tomorrow and has been known to be the cause of some pretty serious food poisoning :shock: I think it might be one of the botulinus cultures, but don't quote me.

If you decide to have another go it might be a good idea to dry them before putting them in oil. I've had some good results with dried chillis. Never tried drying garlic but there's a first time for everything :roll:

Anna x

DaisyDaisy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Funkiepixie - I never knew that scary garlic fact - oo er. I thought garlic was generally a friendly food.
The chilli wasn't dried out either, so anotehr time I'll try both dried garlic & dried chilli too.
Thanks!

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Don't panic Daisy - garlic is generally good. It's when it's bottled that the problems seem to start. Good luck for next time though. :wink:

Anna x

chadspad

Ive made chilli oil using FunkyPixies advice of drying the chillis and thats been really successful. Ive made some for prezzies it was so good.
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

wulf

Did you just pour the oil on top? I haven't used garlic before but I have made a rosemary flavoured oil. As I recall, I heated the oil and rosemary together in a glass dish (probably while cooking something else in the oven to save waste) and that seems to have kept pretty well; I guess any nasties got killed off by boiling in hot oil and then haven't had a chance to re-establish.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

bwaymark
Tom Good
Tom Good

I was keeping garlic in olive oil (amongst other things) and was told botulism breeds in garlic when it doesn't have access to air (ie: when its in an oil) so its better not to stick raw garlic into oil. I'd assume that cooking the garlic would kill of the botulism, but best to ask someone who knows....
-----
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." -Benjamin Franklin

bwaymark
Tom Good
Tom Good

Here is some info (from the US):

"However, outbreaks of botulism from more unusual sources such as chopped garlic in oil, chile peppers, tomatoes, improperly handled baked potatoes wrapped in aluminum foil, and home-canned or fermented fish."

From: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseasei ... lism_g.htm
-----
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." -Benjamin Franklin

DaisyDaisy
Tom Good
Tom Good

oo er :oops:

I'm so glad that I spotted the fuzz in the oil before wrapping the bottles up - they are pretend cut glass so I had to peer in.

Thanks for all your comments.....
:flower: :flower: [/i][/b]