Turning Veggie!

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
becks77
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Turning Veggie!

...oh and if you are worried about vits and minerals Holland and Barrett do vegan multi vits and minerals, which are quite often on offer (now)
And if you are on FB come over to veggie friends we have recipes and info to hand :)
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

I'm a bit late to the party, having just noticed this thread.

I've been vegetarian for so long (about 35 years) that I don't even remember what it was like to give up meat. I followed the recommendations in "Diet For a Small Planet" about combining foods to get "complete" proteins. The author has since recanted those beliefs. You don't have to combine foods to get complete proteins as long as you eat regularly from a wide variety of vegetarian foods.

I have been vegan for 20 years. The biggest change I noticed in my health was that my athletic performance improved. I used to race in a cross-country ski marathon (42km) every year. The year I went vegan, my time jumped from four and a half hours to four hours, with no change in my training regime. When I switched doctors, my new doctor was horrified that I was vegan and ordered up all kinds of blood tests. When he got the results back, he had this puzzled look on his face as he said, "Well, damn, you must be getting your iron and calcium from somewhere!" :lol:

Flo

KeithBC wrote:The year I went vegan, my time jumped from four and a half hours to four hours, with no change in my training regime. When I switched doctors, my new doctor was horrified that I was vegan and ordered up all kinds of blood tests. When he got the results back, he had this puzzled look on his face as he said, "Well, damn, you must be getting your iron and calcium from somewhere!" :lol:
I can so relate to that one! :mrgreen:

LuckyST
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Great decision! At the beginning it would be hard to choose appropriate products without any help. Try using some diet apps to balance your meal right. In this article there is a list of reviews on such apps. Just choose the appropriate one.