Red and brown onions

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

Red and brown onions

I've grown far too many red onions - can I use them as 'normal' onions?

I've read contradictory info = some articles say they a sweeter, some ay they have less sugar :dontknow: Would I be able to tell the difference?
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

oldjerry

Re: Red and brown onions

You'll be able to tell the difference if you eat them raw.(Which would be nice).Cooked(equally nice) depends on the variety.To be honest,you CANT have too many onions(red,brown or white) so happy days all round!

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just use them as onions, this year my red onions didn't really come to anything.. but last year I just picked whichever colour I fancied and used it as an onion. Red onions are prettier where the onion is still visible - salads, etc. You won't know the difference in a casserole, or even as steak'n'onions.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

marshlander

[quote="oldjerry"]You'll be able to tell the difference if you eat them raw.(Which would be nice).quote]

Yes, I had grown them for salads and salsas and almost all of the 100 sets have turned into grapefruit sized onions.

The brown/yellow haven't done half so well and about a third ran straight to seed. I'm so glad I can use the red instead.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

Big Al

GeorgeSalt wrote:Just use them as onions, this year my red onions didn't really come to anything.. but last year I just picked whichever colour I fancied and used it as an onion. Red onions are prettier where the onion is still visible - salads, etc. You won't know the difference in a casserole, or even as steak'n'onions.
I've had a quite horrendous year this year for onions. Most of my red onions went to seed from about May so I have plenty of seed for next year assuming the taylors bulbs are not H1 etc but even so I like an experiment....

I'll second old Gerry. You can never have too many onions, if, after reading the comments you still think you have too many you can have my addy and I'll even pay the postage, lol.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Onions have been funny this year. This year I had the same cheap-as-chips Sturon and Stuttgarter Giant sets from B&Q that many people have reported struggling with (I was late getting seed sorted), but mine have done great. My red onions from seed (Long Florence) have done nothing.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Annemieke
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: N 51°
longitude: W 3°

Yes the red ones are sweeter, personally I much prefer them. It also appears they are better for you, I quote: "Red onions have a higher concentration of flavonoids in the outer layers, which, according to a Cornell study, can help reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. Red onions also contain the brain-boosting flavonol quercetin, which helps keep memory in tip-top shape." (http://www.fitsugar.com/Benefits-Nutrit ... s-19884741)
The drawback is that they don't keep quite so well as the yellow ones, but they'll still last a few months in our shed.
Did you know that for optimal health benefit it is best to cut up an onion 10 minutes before putting it in the pan? And then cook no longer than 15 minutes on low-medium heat. This is ensures maximum synthesis of the sulfur compounds. For garlic the best time is 5 minutes.
It may be a nuisance to watch the clock that closely while cooking, but when it counts it's worth knowing. Love, Annemieke.
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil!
And if you are interested in food and/or health, have a look at my website:
http://ThoughtforFood-aw.blogspot.com.
Love, Annemieke

Uller
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I regularly use red instead of brown in cooking. The only difference I have noticed is the colour - when cooked, they can lose their red and become a bit greyish, which has made for some slightly odd looking frittatas. I suspect this will matter more to some people than others!
Blogging about a new life in Portugal - http://www.aportugueseadventure.wordpress.com