Urgent! I need something to pickle quick!

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Chants Cottage
Tom Good
Tom Good

Urgent! I need something to pickle quick!

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Hello folks. I have just pickled 22 eggs. I am all out of eggs but now find that the recipe I have followed for the pickling liquor has left me with at least a litre of the stuff left over. No idea why they specified why I had to make so much, as what I've used more than adequately covers me eggs. So what shall I do with it? It's full of posh stuff like star anise and cinnamon sticks so I am loath to pour it down the sink. Have some fairly standard veg lying around but not really in a position to go and get anything else. As it's been boiled for a minute could I just bottle it up again and use it as vinegar? Help!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Urgent! I need something to pickle quick!

Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:58 pm

As it's the stuff which is going to preserve your eggs, I think it's a safe bet that it will keep for, well, ever. Yes, you can just stick it in a bottle and use it as a flavoured vinegar or even for more pickles at a later date.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Not only do I have a bottle of pickling vinegar that's almost as old as me, but when I finish a jar of pickled eggs or pickled onions I reuse the vinegar for the next lot (after straining out all the odd bits of egg white and onion skin).
I think the vinegar is probably 15 years old at least and just starting to mature. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:58 pm

alway have a spare jar of spiced vingar around you never know when you will need it
Darn that Wabbit

Chants Cottage
Tom Good
Tom Good

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:29 pm

Thank you all - Posh vinegar it is then. I shall rebottle it. (When I wrote it I did think "is that a really stupid question?", and it seems that on balance yes it was!!)