Food Saver. V2490 Vacuum Sealer

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Food Saver. V2490 Vacuum Sealer

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WKTDJ 25 January 2012 Food Saver. V2490 Vacuum Sealer

The food saver was put to use vacuum packaging packaging my pilot bread. The food saver is a marvellous device, I should have bought one years ago.

After packaging the bread, I wanted to seal a mason jar, but didn’t have the proper adaptor, so by accident had a large flour container, upon which the supplied canister adaptor fit perfectly. The mason jar with screw top lightly in place was vacuum pumped. The mason jar sealed perfectly. This device will be ideal for all sizes of mason jars without having to purchase adaptors with different mouth sizes.

oldjerry

Re: Food Saver. V2490 Vacuum Sealer

Can't work your link Durgan,I've got a vacuum packager,but cant figure out how you'd use it on a mason jar.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

It looks like a larger jar with a suction cap that you put your Mason jar in.

Vacuum sealing pilot bread sounds like you've got some inside knowledge on Armageddon, Durgan. How long are you expecting to need it to keep?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

We got a cheapo one from Lidl a few years ago and it's a marvellous tool for packaging meat & veg for the freezer. It sucks all the air out preventing the build up of ice crystals and the food takes up far less room, and if you're really mean you can wash out the bags and re-use them a couple of times for smaller items.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Durgan

Green Aura wrote:It looks like a larger jar with a suction cap that you put your Mason jar in.

Vacuum sealing pilot bread sounds like you've got some inside knowledge on Armageddon, Durgan. How long are you expecting to need it to keep?
I just got fed up with the junk bread that is sold in supermarkets. Pilot bread should keep indefinitely at room temperature, since it is very dry. I will probably keep it for a month or so, as it gets used up.

To soften the pilot bread simply place in a steamer for about five minutes, and it is similar to a bagel without the hole.

Durgan

oldjerry wrote:Can't work your link Durgan,I've got a vacuum packager,but cant figure out how you'd use it on a mason jar.
Green Aura explained the operation. I will take some clear pictures today and repost the link. I was a bit casual about the operation with the jars, since I assumed everybody knew about vacuum systems. Vacuum was my bread and butter for about 40 years of my working career.

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I bought a vacumn sealer from JML with great glee, it worked briliantly for three months and then conked out, any ideas on what would be the best mid price one?
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

jennie01
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: Longitude
longitude: latitude

Vacuum packing reduces atmospheric oxygen, limiting the growth of aerobic bacteria or fungi, and preventing the evaporation of volatile components. It is also, commonly used to store of, the dry foods, over a long period of time, foods such as cereals, nuts, cured meats, cheese, smoked fish, coffee, and potato chips (crisps). On a more short term basis, vacuum packing can also be used to store fresh foods, such as vegetables, meats, and liquids, because they inhibit bacterial growth.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 30, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam link removed

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

We bought a Lidl one a few years ago. It worked fine but only came with 1m of bagging material. Once that ran out you were stuffed. Lidl didn't sell it and neither did the manufacturer of the machine who also refused to tell me where I could buy some from. We did get some from Westfalia but it was pretty weak stuff. and needed sealing on 3 sides.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot