Sugar

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sugar

My view: Sugar is an insidious poison, and should be avoided. It is almost an addiction. Any weight loss program has to include the complete absence of sugar. Obesity is not prevalent in Japan, and my observation was the the Japanese seldom eat deserts- meaning sugar. I have a sweet tooth and to eliminate added sugar, I don't have any in the house. I do use a bit of molasses to enhance the colour and flavour of beans when they are being cooked. An added plus when the sugar was eliminated as much as possible is that the feeling of highs and lows completely disappeared. I don't have a tired feeling any time throughout the day.

Sugar is in most of our foods. Sugar in quantity has only been fostered on the human race over the last 400 years or less. years.
Average consumption of sugar per person (in pounds)
1700 AD 4
1800 AD 18
1900 AD 90
2000 AD 145

The average American consumes an astounding 2-3 pounds of sugar each week, which is not surprising considering that highly refined sugars in the forms of sucrose (table sugar), dextrose (corn sugar), and high-fructose corn syrup are being processed into so many foods such as bread, breakfast cereal, mayonnaise, peanut butter, ketchup, spaghetti sauce, and a plethora of microwave meals.

In the last 20 years, we have increased sugar consumption in the U.S. 26 pounds to 135 lbs. of sugar per person per year! Prior to the turn of this century (1887-1890), the average consumption was only 5 lbs. per person per year!

When you eat sweets high in sugar, you're making way for rapid weight gain and elevated triglyceride levels, both of which have been linked to cardiovascular disease. Complex carbohydrates tend to be absorbed more slowly, lessening the impact on blood-sugar levels.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sugar

On the other hand, individual consumption of meat has also risen, as has individual consumption of starch. And asparagus, I may add.

Sugars, in one form or another, have always been a part of the human diet - encouraging the activities of bees in the early Middle Ages was not because of their pollination proclivities. I do agree with you, Durgan, that today's consumption is excessive. But an insidious poison is perhaps a bit of a severe description.

Besides, if the consumption of sugar drops remarkably, the price of sugar will go up and my home-made plonk will become more expensive. Eat more sugar, you buggers!!!!!!!!!

Mike

EDIT: Where do those historical consumption figures come from, Durgan?
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Big Al

No, I must not bite, I must not bite, I must not bite.......
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Durgan

"Where do those historical consumption figures come from, Durgan?"

Some site on the internet. I have seen similar figures over time. I don't think the sugar consumption levels stated are invalid.

Ellendra

In the US it's hard to find a can of soup that doesn't have sugar added.

My only sticking point on what you said is that sugar in itself is not a poison, the body is designed to use it as fuel. But, anything in excess becomes dangerous, no matter how useful it is in resonable amounts.

Or, as my great-great Aunt Agnes used to say, "Everything in moderation, including moderation."
(She died at the age of 105, and up until her last month she could still dance you under the table.)

The Riff-Raff Element

MKG wrote: And asparagus, I may add.
Hard to gain weight eating asparagus, though, particularly if you leave the butter off.

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

That's the reason I make most of my own stuff, so I can determine how much sugar and salt get added. Best to avoid all processed food as much as possible.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

pelmetman

Don't know about sugar Durgan, when I look round at people stuffing every imaginable type of takeaway at all times of the day is it any wonder there are so many overweight people around :shock:

Sue
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Durgan

An Email from my daughter in Japan.

I can count on 1 hand the number of obese people I've seen here in more than 10 years! And if I see one they are invariably white foreigners! Ouch! Basically Japanese have almost zero interest in sweets. You can't even put any sweets in kids lunch. I can't buy any of my fav junk food here at all. And if Japanese have dessert it is usually the size of a pea. And the most popular fast food is salmon with riceball and seaweed. Kids love it! And rarely is there any meat eaten, mostly fish. Totally different diet. Totally different result!

Ciao ciao!
Jan
Sent from my iPhone

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

I was surprised when I was in the US, that all the bread tastes sweet. Obviously has quite a high sugar content, but to my taste not very pleasant!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Durgan

Marc wrote:I was surprised when I was in the US, that all the bread tastes sweet. Obviously has quite a high sugar content, but to my taste not very pleasant!
Every processed food in NA either tastes sweet or salty or a combination of both.

The Riff-Raff Element

I used to think that the oft-heard French comment that baked beans were "sweet" was odd until I went without them for a few years. Then I saw (OK - tasted) that they might have a point.

The levels of sugar, salt and some other bulking ingredients is quite controlled here, much to the annoyance of food processors since it pushes up their costs: I sometimes wonder if that has any bearing on the relatively low levels of obesity in France. Just how many calories are being hidden? Just an extra 100 calories per day adds up to 10lb weight gain in a year....

Millymollymandy

Yet all their vile sliced sandwich loaves are loaded with sugar therefore inedible. OK they're inedible anyway, but that's not the point here..... :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

too much sugar/salt/fat/meat will all have negitive effects of your health.

easy solution: only eat natural foods!

make all your our own meals from scratch so you can controle what goes in them.
eat fruit instead if sweets
better still, become vegaterian or even vegan ( although vegans tend to develop vitamin and mineral defficiencys, most commonly vitamin B12. a vegeterian diet including dairy and eggs is the healthiest diet to follow)
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

The Riff-Raff Element

Millymollymandy wrote:Yet all their vile sliced sandwich loaves are loaded with sugar therefore inedible. OK they're inedible anyway, but that's not the point here..... :iconbiggrin:
Funny you should mention that... because they are baked in a tin they count in the same category as brioche and can have sugar in them, while "proper" bread can't. I tell you, as soon as these food processing wallahs see a gap they will drive a wedge in it.