Cake question

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Cake question

I've decided to make my own christmas pudding and cake this year - my mother used to do it but is now not really up to the job. I've got some fabulous recipes which I'm eager to try - and the fruit's soaking to put in the pudding even as I write.

My daughter's vegan so both have to be suitable for her. My problem is - all the vegan rich, dark fruit cake recipes I've found all say they won't keep longer than 4 weeks. It doesn't say this on the pudding recipes. The ingredients are only slightly different, it's the method of cooking that differs so drastically between the two.

So my questions are
1) Why won't the fruitcake keep - the only thing missing from an ordinary one is eggs, and traditional cakes keep for years

2) If the cake won't keep, does that mean the pudding won't either?

Any ideas - I'd really like to get both done this week so they can both be doused liberally (or should that be soused :drunken: ) but don't want to have to waste good food if they won't keep.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Cake question

i dont do christmas cake.. so dont know.. but the pudding, I would have thoguht it would keep just the same
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Millymollymandy

I imagine the only things missing from the pud would be suet and eggs; I don't know if you can use vegetarian suet for vegans though.

I can't see how the lack of eggs would mean either the cake or the pud wouldn't keep for a long time. :dontknow:

But - I'm not an expert on these matters!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I make a suet-less pudding a la Mrs Beeton and as they are made 3 at a time, I freeze the others. That works very well but the one not frozen keeps for at least 2 months in a cool place.
We eat the other two at Easter and mid-summer's day.
Christmas cake I always understood kept for a few months purely because it was doused in brandy, same as pickling.
After all, ordinary cake keeps for quite some time, just dries out, which sprinkling with alcohol would cure.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hmm, I'm not sure about this, I can't see why it wouldn't last :scratch: I made some vegan cupcakes recently and they were the lightest fluffiest cupcakes I've ever made, I was really pleased as I'm definitely not an expert! Check out this website for gorgeous recipes! http://vegancupcakes.wordpress.com/

becks77

When I get home I will post you my eggless, fatless, sugarless fruit cake recipe it is lovely(but can be a bit windy), and I'm sure if you were to feed it enough brandy (if that is an option it would keep for a good deal longer than 4weeks!
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

becks77

Found it
Fatless, Sugarless,Eggless Fruitcake
1tbsp carob flour (we use cocoa)
500g mixed fruit
185g wholemeal flour
3tbsp baking powder
rind of orange
4tbsp ground almonds
1tsp mixed spice
250g dates
10fl oz boiling water
4tbsp orange juice

Method
1. Soak dates in boiling water until soft,then liquidise.
2.Meanwhile combine the rest of the dry ingredients
3. Add wet ingredients and the liquidised dates, mix really well.
4.PLace in 7" cake tin and bake 170C for around 1.5hours
Eat and enjoy
Hope that helps
Merry christmas
Becks

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Thanks becks

I've actually found one very similar but, I think, a little simpler. It called for half a pint of water to soak the fruit in so I've substituted Guiness - seems reasonable :lol:

I'm going to do the usual brandy thing between now and christmas, so fingers crossed it keeps! If I remember I'll let you know how well it does.

I still don't understand why a rich dark fruit cake, vegan or not, wouldn't keep. But all the recipes specifically said - only 4 weeks.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Green Aura wrote:Thanks becks

I've actually found one very similar but, I think, a little simpler. It called for half a pint of water to soak the fruit in so I've substituted Guiness - seems reasonable :lol:

I'm going to do the usual brandy thing between now and christmas, so fingers crossed it keeps! If I remember I'll let you know how well it does.

I still don't understand why a rich dark fruit cake, vegan or not, wouldn't keep. But all the recipes specifically said - only 4 weeks.
Oh dear, Guinness isn't vegan as far as I'm aware as it's filtered through islinglass :(

becks77

Green Aura wrote:Thanks becks

Sounds delicious
loads of brandy maybe ...it preserved Nelson for longer than 4 weeks!!!! He he