Guerrilla Gardening

By popular demand - The book review section.
goo
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Guerrilla Gardening

Hi, I've been reading 'On Guerrilla Gardening' by Richard Reynolds this week. I found it a challenging and thought provoking read, wasn't always in agreement with the author, but I think it's good to get out of your comfort zone sometimes.

Basically Guerilla Gardening is the 'illicit cultivation of someone else's land', it's about challenging concepts of land use. This is not an ish ''how to' book, more of a 'why you should'.

But I thought it had applications for people on this forum, for example, those of you struggling to grow what you can in window boxes and containers, it offers a new avenue of exploration for your efforts.

Although I have a garden of my own I thought I would also make a commitment to guerrilla gardening on behalf of bees. I was planning to do as much bee friendly stuff in my garden as possible, but now I'm thinking why stop there?

It's out in paperback in May so will be cheaper then, if you're having a 'not doing shopping of any kind' moment you can always check out the website http://www.guerrillagardening.org
So long as the roots are intact, we're okay!

My website is http://sustainablelivingproject.co.uk

tiggy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Guerrilla Gardening

I read this and thought what a good idea which needs spreading far and wide.

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

I saw this book-or a very similar one-in the book shop just last week, I was sorely tempted to get it. Now I know I should ;-)
Harm None!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, it is a good book, I'm about half way through.

We now have a "Guerilla Gardeining" TV show over hear. I suspect it is carefully scripted and as such missing the point!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Lady B
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi Wombat, fancy meeting you here!!

There's a 'whole food' store in Albury that has a garden out the front of the shop. Now I don't know whether it's on private or public land, but instead of the usual petunias, snapdragons etc., this garden is planted with a border of parsley, a rosemary bush in the middle and the intervening space is planted with strawberries. Looks really nice as well as being 'functional'.

Wasn't aware there was a book out on the subject. Must have a squizz at the local library and see if they have it.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey Barb! :cheers: :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Along the same route - has anyone tried convincing their council to use the hideous 'landscaped' parts of the town to plant blackberries, rosemary, or other easy-care edibles?

Sounds to me like a campaign is a-brewing....
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Annpan wrote:Along the same route - has anyone tried convincing their council to use the hideous 'landscaped' parts of the town to plant blackberries, rosemary, or other easy-care edibles?

Sounds to me like a campaign is a-brewing....
Well... my campaign got as far as emailing my council... and this is their reply.
Dear Ms M

Further to your e-mail regarding the above, the Acting Land Services Manager for Grounds has advised as follows:

"Plant material tends to be semi ornamental or structure type shrubs depending on location and intention for site, on some occasions we will be asked to provide screen planting hence the use of structure type planting which tend to be a mixture of indigenous tree/plant species.

We generally do not plant shrub or tree species for the purpose of providing an edible crop on the basis that many youngsters without the proper advice may not be able to identify what would be safe to consume.

Verges and hedge planting are normally standard type planting of either Hawthorn, Blackthorn or Beech again these are standard type plant material we may be asked to plant something different depending on the purpose of the hedge. This type of planting mix, however, is ideal for encouraging and supporting indigenous wildlife. Obviously, road verges would not be ideal for the type of planting you suggest due to the hazard of passing vehicles.

The types of planting you suggest are ideal for community type gardens where the crop would be gathered by an adult or under adult supervision."

I hope this information is sufficient.

Regards,

Susan McLaughlan on behalf of Land Services
Clerical Assistant

Email: landservices@southlanarkshire.gov.uk
Yawn....

I really don't understand what the danger is in the planting of brambles or rasberries, especially as these grow wild in many parks and bits of waste ground anyway. And surely growing stuff that is edible would be better than growing stuff that isn't :? if they are worried about daft kids eating it. And I have never seen a hawthorn or blackthorn (which are usable/edible anyway) planted in any hideous landscaped piece of land in this area. :roll:

I think it is a really weak cop-out actually.

I might get all worked up about it another day and get everyone to email their MP.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay