Making natural cosmetics book

By popular demand - The book review section.
barbarajohnson
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Making natural cosmetics book

I've been interested in making my own cosmetics and shower gels and the such for a while now. I know there are shops where you can buy natural and plastic free things but they're so expensive! So I thought I'd have a go at making my own.

I picked up this book: https://www.tenderessence.com/products/ ... -cosmetics
and I quite like it!

It tells you how to make all different things with essential oils and all natural ingredients. Everything is vegan too, which is a bonus - also makes it easier than checking ingredients in shops. There's different sections in the book for face, body, bath/shower and home, so I thought there was quite a good range of stuff. So far I've tried making the scalp scrub and a beard oil for my husband - they turned out quite well. I'm looking at making candles next (I do love a good candle) but it says that's a more advanced recipe so I might work my way up.

I think this is a good book so far and hopefully I'll get through some more of the recipes (I might update this thread when I've tried some and tell you how it went). I'm sure it'll be easier than searching around online trying to find different things - there's so many blogs out there it all gets muddled up for me :dontknow: I do prefer a good paperback.

Anyway, I'm not very good at writing reviews but I thought I'd have a go in case anyone might be interested in this sort of thing. The book is very pretty too, there's little flowers on all the pages! :flower: Oh, nearly forgot, the book is called Bright and Beautiful - Making Your Own Natural Cosmetics :study:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Making natural cosmetics book

Good stuff. I've been making my own toiletries for years. I find, over the years, they've got simpler. These days I use oil (coconut/olive), aloe vera and essential oils for pretty much everything!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

barbarajohnson
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Green Aura wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:30 pm Good stuff. I've been making my own toiletries for years. I find, over the years, they've got simpler. These days I use oil (coconut/olive), aloe vera and essential oils for pretty much everything!
I've just discovered coconut oil myself, what a wonder! I like the unrefined stuff because it has that tropical coconut smell. I'm yet to try using aloe vera, I think I've got a plant somewhere but I've never tried using the leaves for anything! :mrgreen:

barbarajohnson
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Update: I made a body butter bar a few days ago - so simple, only 3 ingredients! - and it's wonderful. No more faffing around scooping moisturiser out of a pot, just rub it on and you're done!
I've ordered myself some soy wax and cotton wicks and I'm going to attempt a candle next - wish me luck!