Uses for Gu pud containers?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
cobnuts
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Uses for Gu pud containers?

I've managed to accrue quite a collection of little glass containers from treating myself to the occasional chocolate pudding indulgence! They are effectively small ramekins with clear plastic lids, for those of you who don't know what I mean, far too good to just recycle.
I reuse the pots for the obvious things like storing spices, freezing small quantities of food etc. but does anyone have any more unusual suggestions? I've also used them for jams and jellies but don't know how good the lids are in terms of sealing properly for storing.
You're going home in a combine harvester

Merry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Could they be used for making candles? You know - pouring in the wax with a suspended wick.
Or decorated with glass paints for Yule prezzies.

Shirley

We've had a few of these in the dim and distant past.... we use them for all kinds of things. My wee boy uses them for snacks, home made individual jellies/trifles, posh homemade pud dishes.

Are they heat proof I wonder.

I don't think the lids are much use really other than to keep dust off.

Hey... just had a quick look at their website. If you reuse your ramekins, take a photo and the best one each month wins some gu goodies. Link
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Stonehead

I was wondering what a gu pud was, or whether it was a spelling mistake! :mrgreen:

I've obvious not been doing enough shopping.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

i second Merry's suggestion - i've got a candle at home that's jelly strawberries stacked in the pot with clear jelly wax poured on, so it looks a bit like potted strawberries (not strawberry jam - you can see the individual strawberries). It smells like lovely strawberries too. i
ll see if i can get a pic when i get home

However...my original comment was that you can make these! They were sold with plastic lids on them to keep off the dust.

jlj
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I use them as tea-light holders

Pilsbury
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

potted shrimp containers for starters?
Never trust a skinny chef
www.handmademeat.co.uk

ina

Stonehead wrote:I was wondering what a gu pud was, or whether it was a spelling mistake! :mrgreen:

I've obvious not been doing enough shopping.
It is a spelling mistake - it's gü. And I'd never heard of them, either. I find their website a bit irritating, though...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)