Mattresses

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mattresses

I've asked this question on another forum but always interesting to hear the views of a different set of people. Cut and pasted from the original because I'm too lazy to write it all out again,

Sunday evening down the pub with a few friends the conversation went , as they do , from one topic to another. I mentioned that a customer had called me to ask how to cut 8" off a mattress . She wanted to be able to fit it in a van and not surprisingly I saiid to her that it might not be the best y friends thought the same , "get an air bed " one said . Good idea I said , better than ruining a nearly new mattress. She could even sell it to pay towards the air bed I added. Now at this point another friend thought the idea of a second hand mattress truly disgusting and really turned her nose up at the idea . But , I pointed out , she's happy to sleep on a hotel mattress that's probably been fornicated on by the world and his wife ( or mistress ) which left her a bit puzzled.
Question is has anyone on here brought or used a second hand mattress or would you be completely against the concept?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Mattresses

I honestly can't remember. I don't think I have (bought one, that is) but I'm not against the idea. I've lived in enough rented flats over the years to be used to sleeping where others have laid.

Folks have strange ideas about secondhand stuff in general, don't they. I know several people who think wearing someone else's shoes is horrible. For myself, I might draw the line at underwear. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've brought a 2nd hand double mattress for my spare room.We went to view it,really nice (posh)modern house.The couple selling it had it in their spare room,and wanted to turn that room into a nursery as they were about to have their first baby.The mattress was an expensive brand,hardly used.The bed was made up,and had a mattress protector on it too.We brought the bed,mattress,large chest of drawers with matching wall mirror for £150.I've slept in this bed a few times,when husband keeps me awake half the night snoring!

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I gave a mattress away to a fella who lives in a bus, it was far better than the one he was currently sleeping on and he was chuffed to bits with it.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Irony of posting a thread about mattresses . My wife's brother has been having marital issues and had moved in with us for a little while ( he's now at his dad's while he and his wife try to sort things out) . My wife made up a bed for him in the admittedly small spare room using one of those travel mattresses . However , when he moved out she discovered he'd had "an accident" at some point and there was a tell tale stain on the mattress cover. Her first impulse was to bin the thing but after a bit of grumbling at a grown man doing such a thing decided to just take the cover off and wash it.

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

We havent needed to replace a mattress for years as the kids took theirs with them as they moved out but I remember what a pain it was to dispose of them. We bought new beds (replacing kids singles with doubles) and mattresses when we moved to this house. Inevitably, we now need to replace at least one (we will use the cascade effect). To our surprise, or perhaps logically, the bed shops include removing and disposing of the old mattress in the price. I know we are still paying for disposal but there is no hassle.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I went to our local tip recently . It's not a place I visit very often but I was a little shocked or impressed , I'm not sure which , to see what I could only describe as a mattress mountain. They're probably running close with sofas as awkward to recycle with the mixed materials and whatnot . I believe those at our tip are burnt to generate electricity.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I’ve had three or four second hand mattresses over the years. The ones on both my bed and the single are second hand. I do run the Vax over them when I get them but I always have a blanket and then a sheet between me and the mattress so I’m not going to catch anything.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I went through a lot of furnished accommodation when I was a student (and loons with naturally-frayed bottoms were perfectly normal legwear). All the mattresses I slept on were more than second-hand. Never got a single scratchy spot. This may be because ex-tenants were scrupulous or bedbugs and fleas didn't fancy biting me.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Glad to hear that the majority on here have no problems with a second hand mattress. I always find it funny how some are totally against the idea of second hand goods but then make about turns for things like cars for instance and then have absolutely no problem with sleeping in hotel beds which may have seen hundreds of different users each year.

houndcoconut
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hmm, I would be opposed to a new mattress, simply because of the cleanliness and potential for bugs in there. Supposed to get a new mattress every 8 years, and I'd be wary of picking up an old one because I'd have to get a new one soon enough!

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Replace ever eight? Cynic in me sees a catchy sales pitch . I did try googling the subject and 'tinterweb seems divided on whether it's necessary or not.

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

We just bought a new mattress (we needed another double bed for guests -kids et al grow up and become couples) and the recommendations are that 1/ the mattress is never turned over but needs to be swapped end for end periodically and 2/ replace within 10 years.
If I recall correctly, in our 40 years of co-habitation and marriage this is the third double mattress we have bought and we started with a second hand one, which was replaced with another second hand one. New ones have been needed as the family size increased, not because the old ones were unservicable.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

My wife recently asked me why I was watching a couple of sleeping bags on eBay. One was a British army artic bag which wasn't that old really and the other was an East German army bag so obviously pre 90's . The East German one especially has a more historical context but it wouldn't stop me sleeping in one any more than it would stop me sleeping in my 1944 American army mummy bag ( although I haven't done for a while) .

Flo

Is there some reason for the sleeping bags Skippy? As you started the topic on mattresses why are you into sleeping bags?