Another use for pallets

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
chuck_n_grace
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Another use for pallets

Hi,
A few weeks ago we constructed three compost bins from free pallets. I wanted to go further and use them for fencing...but needed to remove the footers. Using pry bars, chisels, and a few hammers...I was able to do it. However, I damaged a lot of slats.

A friend brought a reciprocating saw over yesterday with a metal cutting blade. We were able to cut through the nails...and removed the three footers and slats in about 4 minutes per pallet.

I built a nice 16 foot length of fencing to hide the 'messy' part of the garden from the front lawn. 'Messy' means pots, bags of material, tomato cages, etc.

My neighbor really liked the fence...and if a neighbor is happy...then we're happy. :iconbiggrin:

So, what else can we build in the garden with these pallets? I've seen some raised beds and a duck gate so far.

Regards,
Chuck

wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Another use for pallets

Compost bins. They are a good resource for building large bins. If I can get my hands on a couple more I might build an "extension" to my bin so I can easily separate out the "almost ready" compost from the new stuff.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Hi, if you can get big enough ones they can make a ventilation wall at the back of a green house or even become the frame work for a shed or play house, simply nail onto framing cover in building paper and tin, then line inside.
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

Millymollymandy

Gates - the gate to my chicken run and two gates into the veg patch are made from pallets. Also my 6 plots in the veg patch are edged with pallets. The box kind that roofing slates came in hold more firewood and kindling that won't fit in the wood shed.

Unfortunately we can't get them easily unless you are renovating a house and get to keep the ones that roof slates etc are delivered in (we got ours from a builder neighbour) because all the businesses here don't give them away as they all have deposits on and go back to wherever they came from. I think that is much better than the things going to waste all over the place, however for Ishy types they don't go to waste, do they? :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/