How "green"is your xmas tree?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

How "green"is your xmas tree?

Hi all,
I was hoping some of you might share any alternative idea's for xmas tree's.I know real xmas tree's can be eventually composted,or even planted out in the garden but here's mine!I brought a large green glass bottle.Its quite round shaped,and probably over a foot wide and the mouth out it is also quite wide.My friend was selling big bunches of dried willow,so I brought a bunch,placed them in the bottle,found some eco friendly dec's,and it looks quite good.I could add some small fairy lights but I'm going the whole hog this year eco wise and will not bother.No it does'nt look traditional,but I've never been one to stick to traditions anyway.So have any of you tried something different this year tree/dec wise?I'd love to hear about them! :santa:

pelmetman

Re: How "green"is your xmas tree?

Every Christmas I go out collecting things to decorate the house at this time of the year. Often it is twigs/small branches (found lying on the ground) etc that I gather from the hedgerows, things like ivy, rosehips, oh and I grow teasels they look lovely in vases. I also like picking long strands of ivy and wire on fir cones, bits of holly etc it looks lovely draped over the fireplace and up the bannisters. Little bunches of greenery attached to the back of the chairs in the dinning room tied up with red ribbon make it all look really special and costs nothing.

Our front porch I surround in greenery and it always looks really Christmassy and welcoming.

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Millymollymandy

Mine's really green cos it is alive and gets reused year after year. We bought it 4 years ago for €5 as a bare rooted tree; it didn't have a lot in the way of roots but we potted it up and it has survived. Luckily it is very slow growing cos it is in a pot so can be brought in every Xmas, the rest of the year it lives outside of course. Best €5 I've ever spent!!

The year before we were cutting back the Leylandii 'hedge', for hedge read 'overgrown into trees',so we used the top of one of the trees as a Xmas tree. They don't shed needles and look completely different from the regular type of spruce trees and it was beautiful to look at.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

boboff

I have a white tree off of the 70's.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

We just drag out the same old artificial tree we bought 8yrs ago when we first arrived in NZ

gregorach

I just don't bother. The first "R" is "reduce" after all... :wink:
Cheers

Dunc

Ellendra

Rosemary growing in a pot, pruned to the traditional shape, assuming I can keep my nephew from trying to eat it whole (last year he ate so much of it that he made himself sick, and the tree was missing a side!)

crowsashes

same one i bring out every year with the same decs both brought and foraged :-) ill keep it going for as long as it lasts

red

its a local tradition to use holly branches tied together - but I am happy with my tree, it is grown locally, and i cut it up and burn it for firewood, branches and all, after use.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Flo

gregorach wrote:I just don't bother. The first "R" is "reduce" after all... :wink:
Exactly .... Just another dust collector and I'm not into making housework!

Shirleymouse
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.5
longitude: -1.9

I live up the road from a Christmas tree farm and going to choose the tree is one of the most exciting things about xmas for me. Now we have garden we are planning to plant it outside after xmas. I have a really random collection of decorations - I always look for one on holiday so they are from all different countries and trimming the tree reminds me of all my holidays :-)

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

we "had" to have a tree for my four year old who informed that it was all he really wanted in life (true story) so we went out last Sunday with a pair of loppers and found a small Pinus Radiata (that's what we have for xmas trees in Aus.) and lopped it of and popped it in the car. The pines are woody weeds in our bushland here so quite green and not to mention free (we did see some lovely ones growing in a plantation but that would have been simple out and out theft and not Ishy or Green at all!) I like a fallen branch, twig one but I was voted down by the loudest one in the house...

edit for spelling and to add- a rosemary bush is a wonderful idea, I must start one for next year!
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

my blog: http://thedullroarphilosophy.blogspot.com/

theabsinthefairy

I have the same artificial tree that we used when I was a child, my daughter is now 14 herself and it is still looking good. It even packs away into its original Woolies box with its original price tag of £3.50 on it. Every year we vary the decoration theme and sometimes fill it out with holly and ivy, sometimes mistletoe, dried thistles and prunings from our evergreens.

For the last 10 years we have only used handmade decs and now have enough in every colour under the sun to be able to colour theme the tree every year.

Re-use and re-cycle - I love Christmas and have to fill the house with pointless bits of decoration and ribbon every year because I am still a child at heart - so no reduce here.
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

Helsbells

We do the same as MillyMollyMandy,
Bought a potted tree a few years ago (not grown in a pot but dug up and put in a pot) It hardly had any rots but has somehow survived and now we bring it in and sit it on the table every year.

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

A Xmas tree constructed by my son and his friends which involved drinking quite a few cans of carlsberg and using a pizza box to make the star
Attachments
The Green Christmas Tree
The Green Christmas Tree
christmas tree.JPG (13.6 KiB) Viewed 7820 times