Rabbits and their Waste

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
SamBee
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Rabbits and their Waste

My boyfriend has 6 rabbits, (plus another 5 babies) which he cleans out every few days or sometimes even as often as every day.
He scrapes out all their sawdust and poop from 4 hutches into a bin bag and fills it up and then ends up with a backlog of bags each week 'cause the binmen will only take so much.

I know rabbits can be toilet trained, and with some he has, they mostly go in their litter trays but when they feel like it make a list else where.

I also know rabbit poop can go on the compost heap, just like our chickens, who are alot less maintenence. But sawdust can't, am I right?

I'd like some solutions as I see htis as a huge amount of waste. We have one compost bin at the moment, and I think it may be worth getting another one for the rabbit waste if we switched from sawdust.

I am working on reducing the amount of rabbits we have at the moment and increasing the chickens.

Help please?

Silver Ether
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Rabbits and their Waste

I dont know anything about keeping bunnies but could you use shredded paper ... or are they likely to eat that.
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

Ellendra

No reason sawdust cant be composted, as long as its not from pressure-treated wood. At worst it might take a bit longer to break down than, say, grass clippings. But it will still break down.

red

I'd compost it
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Mainer in Exile

There's no reason not to compost sawdust. When I sweep out the workshop, it all goes on the compost pile.

I use hay and straw to line my rabbit cages, which does compost better.
"The one small garden of a free gardener was all his need and due, not a garden swollen to a realm; his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command"
-J.R.R. Tolkien

MrDirtyBoots
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

No problem in composting sawdust. It takes a few months to compost but does break down fine, especially when activated by all the Rabbit poop. You could always switch to straw to make it quicker.
Living a Self Sufficient Life isn't always easy.

Come and visit A Self Sufficient Life for tips on all aspects of becoming more self sufficient.

From Compost Loos to Eco Balls we use them all!

contadina

The cool thing about rabbit poop is you can use it directly on soil because they tend to pee and pooh in separate areas, unlike chickens who do the two simultaneously. So unlike chicken pooh which is too nitrogen-rich to use straight away, you can give your plants and instant pick-me-up with rabbit droppings or use them to make a liquid fertiliser.

evelyn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Compost it.

Just make sure you use equal amounts of green matter to balance it out, i have been doing it for years and it makes brillient black rich compost.

If you dont have enough green matter enlist the help of a friend or two, i have given my friensd buckets so they can save me there veg peelings and tea bags, today i enlisted the local caffe.

Eve

SamBee
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thank you very much! I feel much less concerned now I know I can copost it all.

Also may be getting two more compost bins pro bono, there's an abandoned house at the back of mine for ages, and they left a compost bin behind, so I can't see whY i can't just take it, the house is such a wreck. Also my grandparents said I can have theirs as where they have it it won't break stuff down properly. Yay!

Plus, two of the rabbits are leaving, on eto my mum and th eother to a lady I know in Body SHop.

WhiCh leaves us with 4, and the babies who are going, but only really want 2.
We have 2 French Lops, big bunnies, but don't know who will want them, any ideas, people like small fluffy rabbits. I may try preloved.

Thank you for your help!