The Peak Oil Problem

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular

The Peak Oil Problem

In my blog reading this morning, I came across some interesting stuff on the 'peak oil problem' (essentially that we've already passed the peak output of most or all of the worlds oilfields and are already on the downslide, despite increasing demand!).

Check out the latest posting on my personal blog, Oil Be Dammed for further links.

What do you think? It seems quite well grounded to me and a quick Google didn't turn up anyone dismissing the theory. Is it proven science or still on the wacky fringe?

Wulf

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I supose when we think of Petrol running out we don't really think of the bigger picture, nicely put in that article as I look down at my plastic keyboard! We do totally rely on petroliem based products don't we.

I heard that all countries need to secure their oil and gas supplies by the end of this decade, so I expect to see more wars and conflict between those that have oil and gas and those that do not. (Pleae correct me as I could be wrong on this one)
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

wulf

I think we could certainly be reaching a tipping point where simpler, selfsufficient-ish lifestyles become less of an option and more of a requirement! Here's hoping that the majority of people will see that as an opportunity rather than as a threat!

Wulf

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'DAy Wulf,

While I hope this also, I find it highly unlikely. I think it will be business as usual until a "Burning Platform" forces change. :cry: and most people will have to be dragged along kicking and screaming.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Chickenlady

Sadly, I think that is true, Nev. Despite all the evidence, the masses are quite happy to hide their heads in the sand until they feel a sharp kick up the derriere! Even the more enlightened of us know we could do more (myself included) and use less (oil and everything else), but sometimes it just feels like walking through treacle (organic of course!)

Jane

wulf

Still, at least the skills we learn will help us and, with only a little dash of optimism required, will be a positive influence in our local communities. I think a lot of people would like to be "more organic" in theory but feel they don't have the time... as prices for oil-based goods increase, that might buy them a bit of space in their lives!

Wulf

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

True, I suppose, like it or not we're going to find out! :shock:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Haddock
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

There have been a lot of articles about Peak Oil in the last few years. Nobody seems certain whether we have reached the peak as yet. Some say we have, and some say we havent, but common sense says it will happen at some stage, and probably sooner than we think.
Major Oil companies keep on adjusting there reserves downward, and consumption keeps on increasing. Oil is a finite resource.
So the trend for oil prices will be ever upward, as will I believe the ammount of conflicts/wars that take place in areas with proven oil reserves.
All sounds a bit gloomy really :cry:
I just hope this type of realisation will mean more frugal use of our limited resources, and more investment & research into sustainable/Eco friendly energy sources. This is what I hope, but I aint holding my breath. Big bussiness & Goverments have to much to make still out of the balck suff.