Woodshed

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Woodshed

I have just finished building a new woodshed. The old one was too far away from the house to haul wood in a storm, too small, and too airtight, despite being rickety. Our objectives for the new one were:
1. close to the back door, with no intervening gates;
2. not too far from the driveway for deliveries of wood;
3. well-ventilated to facilitate drying;
4. two bays, each big enough to hold 1 normal winter's firewood, which we estimated at 3 cords.

The two bay requirement is important. It means that we can fill one bay while consuming wood from the other. It allows us to keep wood for two years, ensuring that it is properly dried. And it provides a reserve if one winter proves to be colder than average.

It took about a month to build. I did all the labour myself. The roof is steel. The floor will be gravel in a couple of days. The exterior boards are spaced 1/2" apart for ventilation. The soffits at the top and bottom of the shed roof are open, again for ventilation. And the retainers at the sides of the bays keep the firewood 8" from the exterior walls. The space between the bays is 9.5". The bays are each 7 feet by 10 feet, and wood can be stacked 6 feet high at the rear and 8 feet at the front.

nickholden
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Woodshed

looks good to me kathy

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Brilliant.

We have something similar (built by our predecessors - I don't think we could even dream of building something so well) in an L-shaped bit of the house. It was built primarily as a lean-to to protect the front door from the prevailing South-Westerlies and doubles up as wood store and houses our bins. Even though the wood is only about 3m(ish) from the door it can sometimes seem like a battle to get the wood so I can understand your need to get one close enough for the winter conditions.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very nice.
My woodshed is nowhere big enough, as a consequence there is never anywhere sensible to put new logs because the shed is still full of 4 or 5 year old logs.
I have quite a lot of new wood to saw up that's stacked outside, but there's no room in the official woodshed. If I don't log it up soon though it will start to rot, so I guess the garage will be pressed into service as woodshed #2.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

one of the handiest ladies I know, a thing of beauty and a joy to behold, and I am talking about the woodshed, I would love one like that

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I am in awe of your woodshed. Can I move in?

ina

Looks too nice for a mere woodshed! :)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

For those with firewood but more importantly probably too much time on their hands,
http://www.boredpanda.com/creative-wood ... BPFacebook

Kiwi bloke
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

VERY impressive! You could go into business doing that.

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Hi, Kiwi Bloke. Thanks!

We have used the woodshed for a couple of winters now, and it is working well. The size is right: last year, we used half a row more than one bay; this year, we used half a row less than one bay.

I had to do some structural adjustments because the weight of the wood was bending the wood retainers. The adjustments had to be staggered over two seasons, because one bay is always full. That is all fixed now, and we are ready to start loading up wood for the 2019-2020 season.

While I am happy with the woodshed and glad I made it, I am fed up with building stuff. Been there; done that. Some major changes in my life over the last couple of years have left me less able to do construction and less interested in it. So I won't be going into business. But if you want the plans, I'll draw them up for you.