solar powered washing machine

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
tinacarolan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 23.0
longitude: 23.o

Re: solar powered washing machine

hi
anyone know where you could get a dc washing machine ,we run are whole farm off solar panels charging into electric batteries this is us if you like to go in and see (link deleted by admin)
be great if anyone knew

Admin note: Pls see our rules regarding advertising http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... =4&t=11583

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whoops.
Mike
Last edited by MKG on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Big problem. I know of no manufactured model. You can simply substitute a DC motor for the AC one, but you'd still be left with the problem of powering the control circuitry.

The easiest way by far is to power a normal mains machine via an inverter.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

battybird
A selfsufficientish Regular

As said in previous post, a twin tub is less wattage so used with an inverter is possible on a DC system without the heavy usage of a normal automatic. Unless of course you can sort heating the water as this is what uses the juice!
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

southeast-isher

You could try asking over at the NaviTron forum - lots of smart cookies there on this kind of subject. Good luck.

http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/

happyhippy

I've spent most of my life living in Australia,and most people wash clothes in cold water.Infact I had my washing machine plumbed into the rain water tank! :iconbiggrin: Alot of people around the world wash clothes in rivers!!!

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

We run a hose from the kitchen tap to the tray of the washing machine and use our solar-heated water in it that way. Simple. The hose is about two foot long as the machine is next to the sink. When I think there's enough water in there, I start the machine. It thinks for a bit and then starts washing!

As for worries about bed bugs, you can still use solar-heated water and a very hot wash programme - the machine starts with much higher temperature water than from the cold tap, meaning far less electricity used.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've got a cold was only machine here and it seems to do the job. When i wash bedding/underwear/towels i throw in half a cap of dettol. Luckily, i like the smell of dettol :)

I've never had a problem with the cleanliness of my clothes (whites go grey after a while), or with bugs.

However...with a cold wash only machine my clothes do seem to grow...I swear my cardigan now thinks i've got 3ft arms! A hot wash would shrink the clothes back to normal size, but until I find a bit of pipe to use, it's cold wash only.