Would you ever burn nappies in a woodburner?

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Would you ever burn nappies in a woodburner?

Disposables.... specifically nature babycare (they have less plasticy crap than in the rest of them)

I know that we "shouldn't" but lets face it , we have all done things we shouldn't so, what's the worst that can happen? and considering that the alternative is sending them away to some land fill is it really all that bad to burn them?

A friend of mine was informed by an environmental somebody or other (she gave the impression she was qualified) that it was better to burn them as you negate transport to land fill and the landfill itself, plus you do get some free heat.

What d'ya think?
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Would you ever burn nappies in a woodburner?

I do :oops: the Biobaby ones that we buy are supposedly biodegradable (made of corn i think), but I can't put them out on the compost because of the dogs (been there, done that, cleaned up the mess). They don't seem to burn in a plasticy way.

Considering the other option for me is not only landfill and all that transport that entails but also carrying the damn things a couple of miles to the bin (and a weeks worth of full nappies actually weighs a fair amount), I don't beat myself up too bad about it - my carbon footprint is far lighter than most, this is my sin.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Rosendula

Annpan wrote:...A friend of mine was informed by an environmental somebody or other .... that it was better to burn them as you negate transport to land fill and the landfill itself....
I don't know the answer to your question, Annpan, but my first thought was whether or not it really does 'negate transport to land fill'. Our bin men come every week regardless of how much needs to be taken away, so the transport happens, irrespective of whether we need it.

Of course, if the bin men take them, they do add to land fill. And if they don't they do provide you with free heat. Do they give off any toxic fumes? :scratch: Puzzling one this. I'm looking forward to reading people's opinions.
Rosey xx

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

We used to burn ours as it seemed like the least worst option but to be honest they didn't actually burn very well and left lots of residue in the ash. It also meant we couldn't put the wood ash on the garden :( Think I'd still prefer burning them to having them in a bin during the summer for up to two weeks though.

Cheers, Paul
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rosendula wrote:
Annpan wrote:...A friend of mine was informed by an environmental somebody or other .... that it was better to burn them as you negate transport to land fill and the landfill itself....
I don't know the answer to your question, Annpan, but my first thought was whether or not it really does 'negate transport to land fill'. Our bin men come every week regardless of how much needs to be taken away, so the transport happens, irrespective of whether we need it.
Of course... doh.

I guess the bin lorry burns more fuel if the lorry is heavier so that 6 oz of nappy might make a difference and if you are on just disposable that is 6 or so nappies a day, 7 days a week... might add up.... but I get your point.
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Shirley

Aren't they compostable to some degree? I seem to recall the Moltex ones were - not 100% but a high number. If you work out which bits are the non compostable bits you could remove them and compost/wormerify the rest.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think Nature babycare are 70+ % biodegradable, I think they still have the absorbant plastic gel in the main section that soaks up the wee... I wouldn't feel so bad if they were 100% compostable (but I'd still burn them as you need a pretty big wormery for 30 nappies a week, well I only really use about 10 a week, but you get my point)

Any way I burned one yesterday and there was no sign of it this morning when I cleaned out the fire, perhaps a little more black ash but my fire also burns at 500oF at least once a day. (usual function is at about 350 I think)
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Helsbells

What about washables?

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I use reusables 90% of the time but sometimes we use disposable - ie. overnight, out for the day or if we want to put normal clothes on E - reusables are very bulky and you can't put normal trousers over them.

Since reusable, well terries specifically are 100% cotton you could definitely burn them, or compost them, should you want to.
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

JulieSherris

Well, we don't have nappies here, Ann - but I use a puppy pad each night by the back door - our 6 yr old Basset still can't go thru the night :roll:

Now we have the range, the pad goes on there every morning - no noticeable smell, no noticeable ash, so I guess it has to better than having 14 wee pads stinking the bin up every fortnight!

As an aside..... in the Uk until last year, we had a dog flap for the dog..... if it rained, he used to stick his head out the dog flap... therefore he was 'outside'... THEN he'd cock his leg - which was still indoors!
I often wonder what the neighbours used to think of me constantly shouting 'all the way, Burts, all the way!!'.... :oops:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

JulieSherris wrote:
As an aside..... in the Uk until last year, we had a dog flap for the dog..... if it rained, he used to stick his head out the dog flap... therefore he was 'outside'... THEN he'd cock his leg - which was still indoors!
I often wonder what the neighbours used to think of me constantly shouting 'all the way, Burts, all the way!!'.... :oops:
Aw Bless :D
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I don't know about nappies but I used to put the cat litter on my Rayburn. I used to use the cat litter made from recycled newspaper and would pop it on the fire before it got too soggy.

Zoe

juperwort
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I guess it all depends on the type of filling in the nappy. The standard polyacrylate (sp) filled ones are likely not to burn well. The Tushies that we sell are wood pulp based, so likely to burn well. The only plastic is the tags, which can be torn off.
Last edited by juperwort on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmerdrea
Living the good life
Living the good life

I would never burn plastic, no matter how small the amount. Burning plastic emits toxic fumes, dioxins, which eventually get into the surrounding environment, food sources and water sources. Dioxins are known carcinogens.

It's legal to burn plastic in open fires here in New Zealand, and when the farmers have the end-of-season baleage wrap fires, the black clouds of smoke smell deadly. Luckily, we've only been downwind of one once, but that was bad enough.

Andrea
NZ

JakeR
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I'm with Andrea - I wouldn't burn any kind of plastic. It just puts too many funky chemicals in the air.

Our son is long out of diapers (nappies), but when he was younger we were in a similar situation.
Like you, we used cotton ones 90% of the time like and disposables when it was more convenient. The used ones went out with the trash.

However you handle the nappie situation, your young one will be grown before you know it. Enjoy every stage of it.

All the Best,