Ground source heat pumps

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
lsm1066
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ground source heat pumps

Ok, so we've only just had our boiler replaced, but when it needs doing again (ie either in 5 years or when the cost of heating oil bankrupts us, whichever comes first), we're thinking about installing a ground source heat pump and underfloor heating. We're on about an acre and have a decent sized orchard we could bury the pipes in. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience of this system of heating.

Thanks
Lynne

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Ground source heat pumps

Cannot offer any advice but we have "done up" an old cottage over the last few years and I wish I had known about ground source heat pumps when we started. We have replaced all our floors so am reluctant to dig them up again to lay the underfloor pipes. Additionally our neighbour has had a mains water supply put in and dug a trench from the supply nearly a mile away. I suppose my piping could have been laid in with his water pipe. Would have had the added benefit of cooling his water supply!

If I ever "do up" another old property I will definitely be installing a ground source system.
MINESAPINT

pumpy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

sorry Lynne, but the pump you speak of is........... all groundwater is a constant 55"F. As for underfloor heating, your floorboards have to be treated to prevent warping, & to lay the pipes you'd need to create a cavity, which may require trimming door bottoms,etc. It's a lovely concept,but not so straightforward!!
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

mybarnconversion
Living the good life
Living the good life

You can also combine GSHP with 'larger' radiators to avoid having to dig up floors / lay UFH.

I'd also consider Pellet Stoves - arguably a greener solution and certainly cheaper in your situation.

lsm1066
Living the good life
Living the good life

Not fussed about digging up floors as all the floorboards / floors need replacing and the bodger who had the house before us put steps into every room (very 70s) so the doors are all at least an inch off the floor (no problem with having to lower floor levels as a result). Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. We've thought through and sorted out all the practicalities. For instance, the reason for putting in underfloor heating is that it's apparently better with a ground source system, plus it frees up wall space, so I can actually put decent storage into the house - there is almost none.

What I was really after was someone who's actually living with it. Thanks for the pellet stoves link though. That's really interesting.

Cheers
Lynne

guyd
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I have a small 5kw GSHP - running from the water under my house.

It works - but my god is it noisy! Its akin to a honda suitcase generator I would say - a loud HMMMMMM - like a fridge, but louder. Our system heats nicely a 42' x 22' room, with 21' apex (barn conversion type) for 1.5kw of leccy.

The technology is there, and its viable, and its low energy (if you have underfloor heating).

If you have an outhouse or similar you can put it in, do so.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Hey, someone told me that these gshp things draw so much heat from the surrounding area that the surface is virtually permafrost. I'm sure he's pulling my leg, but if you site one in your garden can you use the ground above it?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin