Scrumping From Neighbours

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
PurpleMcGowan
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Facebook Name: Ali McGowan

Scrumping From Neighbours

I have a neighbor at the end of our road with a gorgeous Apple tree.
Its only 5 ft tall but so heavily laden, or at least it was till the storm hit this weekend :(
We've been eyeing it up for weeks and the owner hasn't picked any of them.
We've tried getting to know him in passing, as you do. A smile, a good morning etc. But all we get back is a grump and a funny look.
I'm devastated to see that he has allowed a full crop to just fall to the floor, but its bad form to go scrumping in peoples gardens at night when your 31 and not 13 yrs old.
So how do I get next years crop?
Do I keep trying to make friends are should I just be brazen and knock on asking for them?
I'll give them some apple sauce in return of course.....
Its Better To Be Mad Than Boring

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Scrumping From Neighbours

They'll still be perfectly fine to use even if they're not pretty. I vote for knocking on his door and offering to collect them, in return for a pot of apple sauce or bottle of apple wine. You never know, he might just be a bit less grumpy then. :wink:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

BernardSmith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Scrumping From Neighbours

I agree. The cost of knocking and asking is zero, and the possible benefit is great. What's to lose? ... and an offer of a gift of apple sauce or a bottle or two of cider or apple wine... That's perhaps a win all around.