Mushrooms

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Gav from Dav

Mushrooms

Any good book recommendations to stop me from poisoning myself?

judyofthewoods
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Get several good books on identifying. Illustrations vary a lot, so several books are an advantage, even if the text were similar. Can't take any chances there. Make sure you know how to identify the poisenous ones, and avoid any edible ones that are just too similar.
Here something to start with
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/
But also take care for the mushroom, when picking avoid disturbing the mycelium, best to cut at the base rather than yanking the shrooom out , tread as lightly as possible around the area, the mycelium spreads just below the surface over a larger area than the fruiting bodies would suggest. And only pick the medium sized ones, and leave plenty to grow on for spores. I have seen a great patch of chantarells devestated by inconsiderate picking. They never recovered after someone picked all but the tiniest, and trod over those as well.
Greetings from Judy of the Woods