Help with identifying!

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Spanderholic
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Help with identifying!

Hi all,

I am doing a foraging project as part of my Culinary Arts degree, and I am having a bit of a struggle figuring out what is edible and what isn't. I thought I would throw a few pictures by you guys in the hopes that you could help me to figure out what they are.
I'm in New Zealand in the Southern Hemisphere,

I think that these might be rosehips but I'm not entirely sure...
Possible rosehips?
Possible rosehips?
roses joshys wild garden portobello.jpg (164.38 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
And then there are these berries that I am totally uncertain about... Don't want to accidentally poison myself or others!
Possible rosehips?
Possible rosehips?
roses joshys wild garden portobello.jpg (164.38 KiB) Viewed 2920 times
This is a picture of the whole plant.
berry plant
berry plant
berries 2.jpg (230.85 KiB) Viewed 2920 times

And finally, thoughts about eating the leaves of a strawberry plant? I have looked around online but some people seem to have varying opinions.

Thanks so much :)
Attachments
berries??
berries??
berries.jpg (189.82 KiB) Viewed 2920 times

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Re: Help with identifying!

I'd agree with your first ID as rosehips. I'm currently de-seeding some dried ones - a fiddly job made more difficult by the itching-powder hairs around the seeds.

The second one looks like ivy to me, which I believe is poisonous. I only recently learnt that this tree-like plant is the same as the climbing ivy - it has two stages of growth.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, I agree with Rachel, the second one is definitely Ivy (Hedera) and I too believe is poisonous although the birds polish them off in late winter.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Somnophore
latitude: 53 14 N
longitude: 02 30 W

Yes 1 and 2 rosehips 3 is climbing variety of flowering ivy. Inedible and poisonous feel free to pm me at e mail removed by admin for security reasonswith any more photos if you need a quick identify as I teach foraging skills.
Matt