We've been given permission!

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

We've been given permission!

Today as I drove into the village I stopped to tell the farmer that one of his sheep had escaped - again :roll: and while there I asked if we could forage some of his greengages when they were ready in exchange for a couple of jars of jam of course. He said that we were very welcome to them but said that he knew them as horse plums and that his grandfather had planted them so that during harvest time the workers could pick and eat them as a snack. I thought that this was a lovely story but I'm left wondering if anyone else has heard of horse plums?
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Millymollymandy

Re: We've been given permission!

No, but just wanted to say - Yippee!! :cheers: Greengage jam (with big lumps of fruit in) is about my all time fave jam. :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Google only gives American Plum and Canadian Plum.

I checked with the oracle of north-east matters that is my mother (she's from those wild parts) and she's never heard of them.

No help here, then :iconbiggrin:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Archanejil
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Not horse plums, but I know that in some parts of Norfolk crab apples were sometimes referred to as horse apples. Maybe for similar reasons...?

The Riff-Raff Element

Archanejil wrote:Not horse plums, but I know that in some parts of Norfolk crab apples were sometimes referred to as horse apples. Maybe for similar reasons...?
...and in the part of Norfolk where I grew up, anything that wasn't a "proper" plum (ie Victoria-type) was called a Horse Plum.

Hang on, let's help Google:

"Horse Plum" was a name given to greegages, bullaces and other plums not of the Victoria type in Norfolk and probably in other parts of the UK

There.

Helpful is my middle name.